PDA

View Full Version : Slow download -poor telephone line or provider or user incompetence

40 yearflyer
16th Nov 2002, 20:14
I've Freeserve evening/weekend freecalls and a 25 metre phone line jammed through the window but a 1.1 GHZ processor 256 sdram in a new laptop. The Freeserve was set up from a CDROM trying to sell 24 hour freecalls but I wanted my BT Hometime so I found the number from my old computer and put that in. It works BUT sometimes Very SLOWLY.

This is my question :- Is it overload on the provider, my telephone line (plus ancient rural exchange) overload on favourite website (PPRUNE of course) or user incompetence?.
( I am solo on XP (home) with little interest in tweaking the advanced options)

I have taken advice and Freeserve offered a faster line (number) but the download didn't work - it could not find my 'telephone book'.

Earlier AOL(which I decided to uninstall) technical chat line suggested deleting all programmes running in the background -but only one is running -however, there are 15 + 'Processes' listed as running including 2 'Explorers' one called IEXPLORER and the other just Explorer both .EXE. What is svhost? - that generates 20.000 k. Should I get rid of some of the processes and just keep something with -'tray' in the name. I note the processes can be allocated an order or priority in start up. No Firewall installed yet -just MacFee Virus Scan.

0730 Sunday morning and the download in all websites except PPRUNE is fine. This download just froze and refresh did nothing.
Ten minutes later I went back to PPRUNE and the speed was fast.
So I guess patience is the key (or try another different link)
The length of phone line is a bit of a red herring. I used an even longer one this morning.

Cheers

Sorry, Broadband will not reach here in the next 100 years or so according to BT