PDA

View Full Version : FAA Multi to JAA Multi

Ham Phisted
30th Jan 2001, 07:28
Does anyone know what is required to convert FAA Multi to JAA Multi? I'm currently living and working in Texas so could do the FAA Multi locally for $1500 in a Cessna 310. Don't particularly want to travel too far (4 week old son) hence Florida and JAR schools are not particularly attractive. Appreciate any help/opinions; many thanks.

HP

RVR800
30th Jan 2001, 12:52
I would imagine its 'merely' a question of
sourcing a Texas based JAA ME Instructor

Then a check ride and a fee for the boys at Gatwick?

Call the CAA for location of the nearest examiner

I have known you for quite some time but
the thought of love has never crossed my mind
you are in a queue at position no 5 and the average wait time is 300 seconds.....

Could cost you a bit that call - could try their site www.srg.co.uk (http://www.srg.co.uk)

Ham Phisted
30th Jan 2001, 17:15
Thanks RVR for your prompt, if cryptic, reply! Your link is duff, try http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/ although I couldn't find much help there either. If I could find a JAA instructor I would although everyone round here (except me) speaks with a drawl!

HP

(Edited for laziness)

PS. Found it: With effect from 1 January 2000 all training and testing for aeroplane type ratings must be obtained through an approved Type Rating Training Organisation (TRTO) or, in the case of a single-pilot aeroplane rating, a Flying Training Organisation (FTO). You are therefore required to attend an FTO and pass a Licensing Skill Test (LST). Any ground or flight training will be left to the discretion of the FTO. However, if you have more than 500 hours experience on MEP aeroplanes and a current MEP rating, only a proficiency check with a TRE/CRE will be required.

[This message has been edited by Ham Phisted (edited 30 January 2001).]

EX FTE
30th Jan 2001, 17:26
So that means that the FTO has final say on howmuch training they think you need? Sounds like an opportunity for unscrupulous rip-offs but ma also mean that some schools will recognise that your FAA multi actually does count for something!! Good luck and let us know how you end up. I am off to work in Washington for a large aircraft company in Seattle and intend to get some multi time in there.

Noggin
31st Jan 2001, 00:03
You can only do A JAA MEP Class rating at a JAA approved school. Only the CAA are approving schools in the USA. If you can't get to one of those and do a FAA M/E rating you will have to do a JAA Flight Test and Written exam at an approved FTO to put the rating on your UK licence.

Ham Phisted
31st Jan 2001, 02:06
Hey Noggin,

Nobody suggested that you could do a JAA MER at a non-approved US school. I was interested in the conversion process since I intend to continue flying over the next 12 months so I might as well accumulate night, multi, IFR time at a reasonable price.

Ex FTE is right, however, it does give the JAA school the opportunity to either assess you fairly or rip you off. Considering that the JAA MER is 6 hrs (need to check exact time)whilst the FAA MER is almost twice the length, the question is who is actually promoting safety of flight!

Regds

HP