PDA

View Full Version : Misbehaving monitor

sky9
16th Nov 2002, 18:21
My Hansol 701A monitor is playing up; is there anything I can do or is it time to get an new monitor (or system)?
When I start up, the initial text at the bottom of the screen is inverted, After Windows XP is installed I end up with about 15mm at the top and bottom of the screen completely black. Trying to remove this by increasing the horizontal adjustment causes the bottom of the screen to compress and distort.
I also get a break-up with black lines along the top of the screen that I suspect might be tied up with the hard disk "writing"
I have tried degaussing the screen and playing around with the other adjustments.
Anybody got any useful ideas please
:o :o

rickity
16th Nov 2002, 20:14
Did it work ok before installing XP, it sounds more like an Adaptor problem than the monitor and may well be the drivers so check that they look like the right ones for the adaptor first. note that not all windows 9X type drivers work with XP I believe that NT drivers may be more compatable in some cases.

Rickity

sky9
16th Nov 2002, 21:11
Rickity,
Yes, it was fine up to about a month ago. I installed XP about a year ago. The inverted text on startup is before XP is installed so I don't think that it has anything to do with the OS.

P.Pilcher
18th Nov 2002, 08:37
Sounds like "frame foldover" to me which indicates a fault in the monitor's frame timebase. It may only be a small component such as an electrolytic capacitor, but the cost of finding and replacing it may approach that of purchasing a new monitor! I suggest you approach a good monitor repair organisation.

I hope that I'm wrong

sky9
18th Nov 2002, 15:57
PP

The fault fits your suggestion, the problem is that an new 17" only cost £105 and a new Dell is currently selling at £799. I suspect that it will the an excuse for something new.
:)