PDA

View Full Version : MD 900/902 an interesting variant?

tecpilot
16th Nov 2002, 17:19
Generally we are using mostly Eurocopter products but in the next future we need additionally twins to fulfill our contracts and especially BK 117 are tricky to get at the moment. MD 900 or 902 could be a variation. Some MD 900/902 are offered on interesting prices (why?, used EC's or BK's are really expensive) but the present owners complain about bad support by MD, long spare parts delivery times and unfortunately at the moment the 900's have some technical problems with some urgent and restrictive bulletins. New sales going slowly and some new MD customers (police) are waiting long times for their new ships. EC delivered more than 250 EC 135 in the last years, counts a lot of orders for EC 145, BK's are really outselled and what's going in Mesa? Next problem is the Cat "A" operation. 900's are not Cat "A" certified (fuel separation, ..., ... ) , only the 902 variant. We had some controversal discussions about MD 900 / EC 135 but now the ships are out of the starting problems and have flown their thousends of hours.

I'm interested on PPRUNERS experiences with such ships AND the operation on JAR-OPS, single pilot, day and night conditions.

Thomas coupling
17th Nov 2002, 08:18
We fly the 135. Some of my colleagues fly the 902. When it comes down to it, I think both are very capable machines. One could discuss subtle aspects of the individual machines well into the night, but the bottom line is that they work.

The weakest link for the 902, in my humble opinion, is the supply line and parentage of the company. Both cause for concern, now and especially for the future. [ What do I know]. A grounded helo is an expensive toy.

PANews
17th Nov 2002, 14:26
Few if any people know why but the Dutch Police MD900s are still not delivered. They were due last January and then June and then September.

The latest is that they are using early model MD900s from the manufacturer and they are now carrying police marking [an air of permanance?], leased AS355Fs and now a BO105 leased until January next year. These are presumably because the original police fleet are running out of hours having had their departure delayed.

Why are they unable to deliver? The new MD900 aircraft have been flying at Mesa for 9 months.

Continued failure to meet the demanding specification perhaps?

Does anyone know?

tecpilot
17th Nov 2002, 15:41
There are some more new MD customers still waiting for their deliveries. That MD seems to be unable to complete the ships on the production line, could be to stay in connection with the spare parts problem. Running they out of parts or is it missing work force? MD promised and planned much more deliveries than they have yet to do. Thomas coupling is rightly, such toys are to expensive to stay on ground because of missing parts. It's not only the financial part, you need backup ships, rated pilots,... and a patient contractor. The MD 900/902 is quite shure a good helo, especially therefore a sad situation or a good occasion (if MD fix the problems!? )

Tail Bloater
26th Nov 2002, 16:26
Does anyone know how many 900/902 there are out there flying and how many are awaiting delivery?

For my three cents worth, all the helicopter manufacturers are tight lipped when asked anything other than where to post the down payment for the newly ordered ship.

The Bond film might stir up some responses from MD.

Notar fan
26th Nov 2002, 18:24
Tail Bloater,
Check out the thread "EC ships 250th EC135" around Nov 1,02. The figures discussed there for MD900/902s are accurate.