PDA

View Full Version : Getting a JAA Class 1 with poor eyesight

The Prince
16th Nov 2002, 13:36
I've seen several posts on eysight issues which I would appreciate clarification of. I currently fail the initial JAA Class 1 standard.

a) I've heard that getting an FAA Class 1 and then going for a JAA re-validation can work(I pass the re-validation limits). Is this a legitimate and gauranteed route and do you have to get an FAA CPL first or just the medical ?

b) LASIK treatment - my understanding is that if you fail the class 1 standard prior to treatment then you still fail - Is this policy reversed.

If I can see a way to passing the eyesight test and getting a JAA Class 1 then I will go and do it. There currently is this huge obstacle.

(I've read the stuff on the CAA site).

SAS-A321
16th Nov 2002, 14:22
I have the same problem as you:(

a) Haven't heard about it, but if it works.....great!

b) I think it depends on your country's CAA. In my country Denmark you'll have to be within the limits before an openration so....waste of money and risking your eyes.

dmdrewitt
21st Nov 2002, 20:32
I have been to Gatwick 4 times now.

Yesterday I was finally granted the JAA C1 medical.

After my 2nd attempt, it was suggested that I obtained a Foreign CPL. (suggestion was US). Then reapply, and be tested at the revalidation standards. The UK is the only JAA member state to offer this route to a C1 medical.

I then let Gatwick, do the FAA medical with the intention of going to the states, but the application took such a long time coming back, so I decided to persue Canada. I had a Canadian Class 1 done locally for £100 inc ECG, and the certificate was back before the FAA one.

The Canadian was unrestricted C1, but the FAA has a MFT (Medical Flight Test) requirement on it. Not sure what this entails, as I have been to Canada, and got the Canadian CPL, so it is now irrelevant to me.

Now Gatwick have assessed me at the Revalidation JAA C1 standards, and I passed.

Gatwick WILL NOT just accept a FAA or Canadian C1 medical. You need to have a CPL or ATPL to go with it.

Hope this helps.

If anyone wants details of where I did the CPL in Canada, please contact me.