PDA

View Full Version : easyJet yield management

Jes
15th Nov 2002, 16:55
I've got a trip coming up with easyJet next week. Like, I suspect, many others I follow the pricing to see when and how much the fare goes up. This time I've noticed that its movement is rather erratic. Some days it increases considerably, only to be reduced the next time I look. The system seems to be trying to nudge the price up, then retreating when it doesn't work. Can anyone throw any light on the methodology?

LTNman
15th Nov 2002, 20:10
From easyjet's website

easyJet operates a very simple fare structure. All fares are quoted one way to allow customers the flexibility to choose where and when they would like to fly. easyJet does not stipulate any restrictions to qualify for the cheapest fares (unlike most traditional airlines who will only offer cheap flights if the customer stays a Saturday night, therefore a cheap fare will not be available for a day-return business or shopping trip). The way we structure our fares is based on supply and demand and prices usually increase as seats are sold on every flight. So, generally speaking, the earlier you book, the cheaper the fare will be. Sometimes, however, due to market forces our fares may be reduced further.

Our booking system continually reviews bookings for all future flights and tries to predict how popular each flight is likely to be. If the rate at which seats are selling is higher than normal, then the price would go up. This way we avoid the undesirable situation of selling out popular flights months in advance. That gives you the flexibility to decide last minute and still get a better deal than if you flew with other airlines at the same time for the same journey