PDA

View Full Version : Rules of the Air in Australia re- Low Flying

Aussie Andy
15th Nov 2002, 08:48
Hi,

This came up in YSBK - YWOL discussion, but didn't get resolved there...

I hold a UK PPL and will be flying in Williamtown and Sydney areas while at home over Christmas / New Year. I would like to understand how the low-flying rules, i.e. Rule 5 of the Rules of the Air, are implemented in Australia?

Here in the UK, we are required to be able to "land clear" of built-up areas in event of an engine failure, so this precludes single-engine ops over densely populated areas such as central London unless high enough (which is generally not possible above about 1,000' or 1,500' agl, depending where you are, below Heathrow TMA Class A airspace)... The relevant bit of Rule 5 can be summarised as follows:Aeroplanes are not permitted to fly over any congested area below a height of 1500 feet above the highest fixed object within 600 metres of the aircraft or below a height which would enable the aircraft to land clear in the event of the failure of a power unit, whichever is the higher (ref CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/DAP_EIS02.pdf))My questions are: Do you have a similar "land clear" restriction in Australia?
Where can I look-up this information (I didn't find it in the VFG, which I have a copy of).
Many thanks,

Blue Hauler
15th Nov 2002, 10:42
Andy,

CAR 157 Low Flying
(1) An aircraft must not fly over:
(a) any city, town or populous area, at a height lower than 1000 feet; or
(b) any other area at a height lower than 500 feet.
(3) A height specified in subregulation (1) is the height above the highest point of the terrain, and any object on it, within a radius of:
(a) in the case of an aircraft other than a helicopter – 600 metres; or
(b) in the case of a helicopter – 300 metres;
from a point on the terrain vertically below the aircraft.

There are exemptions enumerated under subregulation (4) (a) to (h).

Aussie Andy
15th Nov 2002, 10:51
Thanks Blue Hauler, so apparently no "land clear" requirement...

Where can I see these "CAR"s - are they available on the web?

Cheers, & thanks...

Islander Jock
15th Nov 2002, 11:24
G'day AA,

You'll find all the legislative docs you need here (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/rules/index.htm)

Also try www.airservices.gov.au for the AIP docs online

stormywx
16th Nov 2002, 04:33
As I said in the ysbk-ywol thread there is no requirement that will effect that flight.

Be aware of:

1. Can't fly lower then 1000' over a populated area
2. Can't fly lower then 500' over a nonpopulated area
3. You must carry life jackets if you are in a SE A/C and will be more then gliding distance from land at any stage during the flight.

There are no "land clear" restrictions in Australia. Be aware that in all flights out of ysbk you will at times not be clear of suburban areas in the event of an emergency, if you are not use to this, we teach people to use areas such as main roads (no powerlines), football fields, racing tracks, golf courses, cleared areas and even rivers/lakes in the Syd area as forced landing areas.

Cheers
stormy

Tinstaafl
17th Nov 2002, 02:27
Those lower flight limits are "... except due stress of weather..." plus the normal caveats about landing, take off, emergency etc.

*Lancer*
17th Nov 2002, 02:36
stormywx, I thought the requirement for lifejackets is to wear them if more than gliding distance from suitable land in an over-water single...

Do the FAA still have no min alt regulation?

Lancer

compressor stall
17th Nov 2002, 05:05
From http://www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/Cao20/2011.pdf

...each occupant of a single engine aircraft shall wear a life jacket during flight over water when the aircraft is operated beyond gliding distance from land or water, as appropriate, suitable for an emergency landing. However, occupants need not wear life jackets when the aircraft is taking-off or landing at an aerodrome in accordance with a normal navigational procedure for departing
from or arriving at that aerodrome, and occupants of aeroplanes need not wear life jackets during flight above 2000 feet above the water.

the wizard of auz
17th Nov 2002, 08:52
All what they said above although we do have exemptions that allow you to fly at what ever height your work requires.
you have to undertake a training course in low flying and be issued the approval, and then you cant use that approval unless it is written in your company ops manual that you must decend to what ever height required, and it must be approved by the holder of the land you are flying over, in writing.

poteroo
17th Nov 2002, 09:16
CAR 157

Another of the many exemptions in here is for training at L/L, so if you have a desperate desire to do dual L/L, there are a number of flight schools thru Australia which conduct this course of training. You won't be able to do subsequent L/L flying solo, unless in the course of your work,as detailed by Wiz.

For the basic details on this course see CAO 29.10 , but each school has a course which includes more than the basic, which many consider is too limited anyway.

cheers