PDA

View Full Version : CAO 48.1 & God

Nipper
15th Nov 2002, 00:43
It appears that CASA may be over reaching their authority. According to CAO 48.1 sub para 1.13 pilots can now worship deities of their choice including:
Reserve time; dead head transportation etc.:D

And all the time I carried a lucky rabbit's foot, when admin duties was my god.
I can't wait for the divine guideance of the CASR's.:rolleyes:

Wagit
21st Nov 2002, 09:25
What’s wrong nipper don’t you like to work!!!!!!

Just wait for “Fatigue Management” to replace CAO 48. You will really know what fatigue is then!!!!!!!!

Me think CASA bosses spend to much time talking to people like Tony Abbott

compressor stall
25th Nov 2002, 04:33
If there ever was to be an investigation into an accident caused by a fatigued pilot working under a fatigue management system, it would bring CASA down before you could say "fatigue". It would make Monarch, Seaview, Whyalla look like childs play.

CASA authorsies a system that legally lets a pilot fly for over 20 hours in one hit, then says in its safety documents that being awake, let alone working, is like being at .05% BAC.
:mad:

Mainframe
25th Nov 2002, 11:18
Comp Stall

seem to be following you around the boards.

The fatigue management system that has been approved ( FAIDS ) was developed by the road transport industry and is also considered valid for the railway industry.

Forget 20 hrs, you can actually go 22Hrs with a 5 hour break in there somewhere, have a 5 break and get into another 22 hour split duty.

Used as really intended ( getting around one off situations ) instead of being exploited for all it's worth and does in fact generate legally fatigued pilots.

Properly used, it is a great move for night freighters who can spend most of the day asleep in a good motel after flying in the wee hours and finishing in the late hours.

Different scenario on Ad Hoc Charter situation where quality and quantity of rest is not as assured as it is with night freight.

compressor stall
25th Nov 2002, 21:58
Mainframe

I do not disagree, except I think it a bit naive for CASA to expect that the vast majority of GA operators will not be lured into flying their pilots to the limits of safety and beyond.

With a couple of days off prior, you can work over 20 hours without a break. And also from memory, one can legally work from 0800-1700 365 days a year.

And your comment:

Used as really intended ( getting around one off situations )

Without each pilot having a PC or ringing ops at 0330 how is a pilot meant to know how long s/he can keep working?

Properly used, it is a great move for night freighters who can spend most of the day asleep in a good motel after flying in the wee hours and finishing in the late hours.

And yes it is also good for bank runners, but aren't thier rosters routine? Same thing every week? If so then why cannot CASA issue an exemption as they have done successfully for years?

Then there is the operator's escape clause putting stating that a pilot must refuse to fly when s/he is fatigued. So late in an 18 hour tour, a pilot is expected to make a descision about his/her ability to operate safely.

Again CASA's own research states that the effects of fatigue are insidious and the ability to judge fatigue is reduced.

So a fatigued pilot is expected to make a descision under duress and then if they make the wrong one they take the blame.

Seems like we pilots get the raw end of the deal.