PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Bronowski

tony draper
14th Nov 2002, 08:33
Anybody else catch this episode from the Ascent of Man last night? , shown I think in support of Greatest Briton prog thats going on at the mo.
Hard to believe its almost thirty years since it was first shown.
Possibly one the best TV series ever made, also shows its possible to make a blinding program without flashy computer graphics or sythesised drum track blatting away in the background, just a man talking about a subject he was expert in , using the TV medium to illustrate his talk rather than the other way round.
Also interesting to Bonowski sitting in front of a computer the size of a transit van using matchstick man graphics to illustrate a point.

Grainger
14th Nov 2002, 08:52
Didn't see it, but remember when it was on first time (jeez, 30 years - where do they go ?).

I was just a kid, but gripped. As Drapes says - today's flashy graphics are just a triumph of presentation over content.

Anthony Carn
14th Nov 2002, 12:04
Got his book somewhere. Must dig it out.

Hypnotic presentation style. Am mortified that I missed the programme. They should repeat the whole series, I reckon.

Huck
14th Nov 2002, 14:34
at Auburn University (US) in the eighties, I took three consecutive classes built around the Ascent of Man series.

Each class was taught by a team - one professor from the sciences, one from the humanities.

Surely one of the richest experiences I have had. I'd love to have the tapes.

I'll never forget the opening of the final episode. Shown on a full-size theater screen, the close-up of a head popping out of a birthing vagina kept me above my girlfriend's beltline for a few weeks!

Loki
14th Nov 2002, 17:22
A really inspiring series.

We don`t see enough of this kind of stuff. Occasionally the beeb comes up with good stuff ....series by Attenborough and M Woods etc but all too far and few between.

fantom
14th Nov 2002, 18:08
draper...you are laying good bait here to lure me out........

Prof JB.... ahem...street cred demands that one owns the hard-backed copy. having said that.....

there are two or three bits which are important to me: the image of the man with his fingers in the brackish waters of the concentration camp, and the quite excellent explanation of the 'speed of light' thing which, until then, was beyond me. truth be told, it still is.

tony draper
14th Nov 2002, 18:30
Yes indeed Mr f, that was the last episode if I remember correctly, when he did that and quoted the words of Oliver Cromwell.
The whole series was repeated a couple of years ago, but I think it was on one of the cable channels.

Oh dear, just did a google search , it was not that episode where Bronowski used the Cromwells words.

the quote I am thinking of was

"I beg you sir, in the guts of christ, think that you may be wrong."

I prolly got that wrong as well :confused:

Loki
14th Nov 2002, 19:11
I think there was an episode largely about Kepler which moved me somewhat.

Mac the Knife
14th Nov 2002, 19:50
In his letter of 3 August 1650 to the General Assembly of the Kirk of Scotland, Cromwell wrote: "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken."

They didn't think so however. Nevertheless, led by the Scottish general David Leslie they lost the subsequent battle of Dunbar.

Aleko
14th Nov 2002, 20:04
Did people who enjoyed Bronowski's programme also like Robert Winstons Human Instincts?

I personally quite liked Winstons programme as it was very interesting subject and also the descriptions he gave were informative. Id beinterested to hear what others think of him.

tony draper
14th Nov 2002, 20:11
Thank you MTN. well, I got the "think" right. ;)