PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly in Nelson, NZ

rottenlungs
14th Nov 2002, 03:27
Hi everybody.

I`m new to PPrune so go gently on me!

I have recently moved to Nelson and am interested in gaining my PPL. Does anyone have any recommendations for flying schools or clubs that are good at Nelson Airport? Any advice on places to avoid would be good too.

Thanks all

Rottenlungs

Dogs
15th Nov 2002, 21:53
Mate

Go and see Steve Gibb at Garden City Helicopters. Ph 547 4360.

they have a R22 on training and do Rescue Work.

Or try Nelson Aviation College over in Motueka, talk to Glen Conning or Steve Piner.

Sharfted Groundhog
18th Nov 2002, 18:37
Do you want rotary or fixed wing?

rottenlungs
19th Nov 2002, 08:01
You can tell I`m a newbie - I am after fixed wing training, purely up to PPL standard. I`m not in it as a career move (health too crap sadly).

I am currently thinking about either Tasman Bay Aviation or Flight Corporation, both based at Nelson Airport.

Cheers guys

Lungs

Sharfted Groundhog
19th Nov 2002, 18:42
If your health isn't too great, I'd be inclined to go and get your medical first. Even though a Class 2 medical is less demanding than one required for a CPL (ie Class 1), it's still money worth spending....

Take a look at the CAA website to see where your closest aviation doctor is and get it done first.....

I know that Nelson Aviation College is very good but I'm not sure if they are open in the weekends as they cater mainly for professional pilots (ie CPL's etc). The CFI's name is Andy and he's a nice guy so he'll be able to point you in the right direction if you want. I'd be staying away from Tasman Bay Aviation, having heard some pretty dodgy things, but it really comes down to whether or not you like the instructor, I suppose. Don't know if Flight Corp are still operating(?).

Good luck!

big buddah
19th Nov 2002, 21:02
Yep, Flight Corp still operating, have a seneca and are starting to do a bit of training in a PA 38

Sharfted Groundhog
19th Nov 2002, 23:54
Thanks for clearing that up.... As I've said above, the most important thing is the actual relationship (:eek: ) between yourself and your instructor. Make sure your instructor has been doing his job for a while (ie is experienced and not a new boy clean out of his nappies).

rottenlungs
11th Dec 2002, 10:44
Hi all

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry for the slow reply I have been on holiday for a bit.

I am slowly going through the class 2 medical process at the mo. It seems they are not too fond of asthma. However, with a bit of luck and an "AMC" decision later I will hopefully obtain a class 2..

I have taken a few lessons with Flight Corporation who seem very friendly and not too pressured. Incidentally they warned me away from Tasman Bay Aviation though I thought that might have just been healthy sales talk!!

My instructor is quite a young guy (<28 cos he makes me feel old!) and has about 450 hours. Is this a bit too new?? However, I feel the relationship is very good (after about 5 hours) and will probably stick with them at least for the time being.

Thanks again everyone

Rottenlungs

Sharfted Groundhog
11th Dec 2002, 17:49
Sounds like you get on OK with him so that's a good start. I would have to agree that most of the talking down of opposition is quite normal - especially when in a smaller location.

I would strongly recommend getting that medical certificate sooner rather than later - and by the way, it's an AMA not an AMC (and stands for an aviation medical assessor). I really think that you might be wasting your money if they won't give you a medical cert. On the other hand, there are many people out there that spend the money anyway and just always fly with an instructor because of the thrill they get out of flying. That's a call only you can make.

450 hrs is quite new but ask to go with their CFI every now and then to just gauage your progress. It's a good check for both yourself and your instructor and if he's any good, he won't have a problem with it!

Good luck!

rottenlungs
12th Dec 2002, 05:10
Hi there Sharfted groundhog

AMC is an "accredited medical conclusion", which apparently involves the experts in the Hutt + my AMA deciding whether they can allow me to fly on a individual case basis. Ah the joys of having rotten lungs....!

Still, hopefully all is not lost and I am enjoying myself in the meantime. Even if they don`t give me a medical, its nice to fly anyway..

Thats a good idea about taking an occasional spin with the CFI. The CFI at Flight Corp is a very experienced lady 15,000 hours all VFR and I think she has to sign of my first solo as my current instructor is only a 'Class C".

Thanks again

Rottenlungs