PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airlines Cheap I Think Not!!

Dee
14th Nov 2002, 02:53
So much for a budjet international carrier, when inquiring about air fares to Japan i was quoted around $3000. Also one way fares were a staggering $1000 more than a return ticket - go figure. :confused:

I can get similar airfares for half the price. I was under the impression that Australian Airlines was introduced to provide discount international airfares from Australia to popular destinations. Forgive me if I am incorrect. But after all the employees are on a reduced contract compared to there counterparts! but yet they still charge top dollar!

Normally I dont mind paying a little extra to stay loyal ie I still fly Q in OZ even if its $10 - $20 more than competition i dont mind but prices that are almost double is a little over the top.

Bye the way the quote in question was for a weekday flight during a non-holiday period and also off peak time (winter) (one would think these times normally have the cheaper seats)

:( :( :(

404 Titan
14th Nov 2002, 03:49
Dee,

From my understanding, AA was set up as a low cost airline not a budget airline. They are a full service one-class airline. They never promised they would be cheaper than the other airlines. They have a lower operating cost, which allows them to operate on routes, which wouldn’t normally be profitable under the QF banner.

As for the price you were quoted, how long before your intended departure date did you enquire about the fare? As a general rule, the later you enquire into a fare the more expensive it is. From what I have seen of AA’s fares they compare very favorably to the other airlines operating the same route.
:)

Wheeler
14th Nov 2002, 04:32
Saw one of their planes take off out of Cooly the other day - one thing was for sure, it didn't have much load. It was off on 14 before the tower and then went up like a rocket - actually very impressive. At those prices, maybe they are all empty!

Dee
14th Nov 2002, 22:58
I made the inquiry about 4 months before I wanted to take the trip! who nows maybe this period just happens to be a busy time for everyone.

voodooman
1st Dec 2002, 00:30
I was under the same impression! From memory a flight Cairns-Hong Kong was aprox $5 cheaper than Qantas ex Brisi. So add my Cairns domestic leg and really was not worth the effort. Royal Brunei about half the price. False advertising.....I Think so!

donpizmeov
1st Dec 2002, 04:36
Yes,
But you are paying for a quality QF style service, and up-to-date In flight entertainment system, and modern aircraft. These things don't come cheap!!!!
ooops what was I saying!

Traffic
1st Dec 2002, 07:11
AA is simply an attempt by QF to put a new paint job on the contempt with which they treat loyal customers who wish to travel to the Asian region.

For many years now QF has used the oldest a/c and the surliest cabin staff on the Asian routes. They expect punters to put up with unreliable transfer schedules in Singapore to service Perth and wonder why everyone uses SQ, CX, Thai and Malaysian.

As for Japan, QF has dedicated itself to the task of becoming the Ryanair of the route. They treat Japanese customers with contempt because noone complains. The oldest a/c in the fleet and the sweatshop Thai cabin attendants provide a service that makes Northwest look positively sparkling.

As to fares, I recently travelled NRT/SYD/PER/NRT for AUD1,100 which is about what QF charges for an earlybird SYD/PER/SYD ticket.

Unfortunately the contempt JD and his marketing gurus show to the Japanese market is reciprocated by most people who would otherwise support an Australian company.

Kubin rock climber
3rd Dec 2002, 00:05
Wheel'

I believe AA are positioning empty ac to SY from OOL for maint, could have been the one ??? Otherwise not much fuel required for rtn to CS either. Or perhaps the boys (girls also) decided to go full charge no derate or Flap15 for some reason.

Have heard loads are good. ????? ;)