PDA

View Full Version : 737 or A320 type-rating

kram
14th Nov 2002, 00:34
Before you shoot me down, I don't intend on flying as a career.

I am working towards a CPL/MEIR (just because I wan't to acheive this).

After completing the CPL/MEIR I would like to do a B737 or A320 type-rating. As I don't intend on flying for a career this is my only chance to really understand how to fly these aircraft. I would also be interested in doing some line training.

Could anyone recommend a company that offers the type-ratings and line training? I have heard CSA do something like this.

This may or may not sound strange but it's the closest I'll get to flying the real thing without trying to get a career doing it.

Cheers

404 Titan
14th Nov 2002, 04:07
Kram,

Flight Safety in the States could do any of they endorsements for you. You will need to find someone else who wants to do it as well otherwise you will have to pay for two endorsements. As to which A/C, I would suggest the B737 over the A320. Don't think you will have any chance though of line flying after your endorsement because that is reserved for company pilots that require it prior to being checked to line.

404 Titan
14th Nov 2002, 08:06
Kram,

As an after thought to my above post, since 9/11 unless you have a valid reason for an endorsement like this and it directly relates to your current employment, I doubt you would be able to do an endorsement like this. All flying training organizations in the US now have to put names and addresses of all prospective students past their department of Homeland Security at least 30 days in advance of the training starting. One of the questions asked is why are you undertaking this training. If you replied to this with your quoted reason, I think it would raise some eyebrows and you may be refused an entry VISA.

oldhasbeen
14th Nov 2002, 08:47
........... and put on the FBI and CIA 's watchlist!!;)

kram
14th Nov 2002, 10:19
I thought someone might bring up 9/11 and I really don't want to get into that debate.

But theres two ways around that:

1. I don't mention anything, I'm just doing the rating to get ahead.

2. I let them know the story and they can check my history, I'm not worried.

At the end of the day the companies doing the TR's are there to make money.

A terrorist does not need a type-rating to hi-jack an aircraft and crash it into the ground, or any training at all.

I was really after some thoughts from people about the companys they know of and their costs etc..

Thanks

KoruLounge
14th Nov 2002, 13:52
Hope this helps! Have Fun!

http://jac-academy.com/

shakespeare
22nd Nov 2002, 08:45
KRAM you are not correct regarding an individual not needing any training at all. Virtually no one without the qualifications or training could disengage an a/c auto-pilot and sucessfully fly it anywhere. This can be demonstated quite easily in a simulator. Sky clear at 10000 feet and 9 out of 10 people will have it buried in the deck with a few minutes.

If you do not require the endorsement for work purposes, I would imagine it is now impossible to get any type of transport jet rating. I certainly do not begrudge you the opportunity, it's just the way it is these days.

B737 is a fine a/c!

intake
22nd Nov 2002, 14:15
I think to do endorsements (transport cat ) in the USA now you have to already be endorsed on an A/C above 5700kg. Check this out as I was told this when I was there not too long ago.

hoss
23rd Nov 2002, 11:27
kram,

dude check out the latest " A-320 professional for FS2002" its heaps cheaper and very challenging (you almost need to do a ground school for this one,no joke.)

regarding the additional 'line flying', no problems they even throw in a free video.

you say you want something close to the real thing without trying to make a career doing it, well this is the best A$100 you could ever spend.

in the mean time you should put your energies into your CPL/CIR followed closely with ATPL theory.

Good Luck, hoss.

Rabbit
25th Nov 2002, 05:25
To answer the question as to which aircraft to study depends on what is your final intention. If you just want to do an endorsement on a conventional aircraft then the B737 is the choice. However, if you would like to familiarise yourself with the latest fly by wire technology then the answer is the A320. The degree of difficulty in training on both is about the same, the difference is particularly noticeable in the operation. The simplicity of the A320 cockpit and the FBW philosophy make it a very simple operation when all is going well, unfortunately when things are not it can become a handful. Getting a course shouldn't be to difficult.

As far as line training is concerned, well that is another question that and I'm afraid I have no suggestion. In fact as intimated earlier, it might be very difficult. Even to work without pay as has been done in the past to get the experience dosen't happen anymore.

Have a nice day