PDA

View Full Version : Any low-time opportunities in Japan?

thearrow
13th Nov 2002, 20:50
My girlfriend of 2.5 years has had to return to Japan for family reasons. She's been there for 3 months now, and it now seems certain that she won't be able to leave Japan for some time, possibly 2-3 years or more. :(

Although I've visited Japan, have western friends that lived there for some time, and quite enjoy the culture, up to now I never really considered work flying there. I'm curious to know whether there's *any* work for low-time pilots (300hrs FAA CPL)?

I stuck my head in at Fukushima on my last visit and saw a 172 doing pattern work and then fly off. However the airport management just about fell over when I asked what tie-down fees where :D They said they'd never been asked before...

The only possibilities that come to mind are instructing (although I'm yet to get my CFI) and glider-towing, as there appears to be some gliding activity. My Japanese is really only a smattering though, although being immersed in a culture always vastly improves my language skills.

I'd really value any comments by anyone as it looks like I'm going to have to choose between a great relationship and a flying career...

ship
14th Nov 2002, 01:06
Take FAA CFI first and apply for instructor job out of YOKOTA AFB or MISAWA AFB or KADENA AFB.
Sometimes flying club on base looks for the CFI.

ship