PDA

View Full Version : requirements for commercial (business) flying

PeachtreeVortac
20th Mar 2001, 05:21
Hi there... I just received my Private, and am working on my instrument rating. I really would like to fly business jets eventually. I figure I'll probably have to start flying twins or something smaller.

Do most companies hire ATP's for that? What about hour requirements? Do I have a chance getting a job with minimal hours and a multi-commercial rating?

How do small companies who need a pilot to fly their new plane find a pilot??? Also, what kind of pay does this type of situation usually bring in?

Thanks for the info!

Avenger
20th Mar 2001, 21:25
Most small companies require at least CPL/IR for light twin taxi work, with a reasonable number of twin hours, say 250-300. This is because the single pilot IFR world is quite demanding.There feeder lines are the flying school instructors who need a change and you will often see these outfits employ part timers.
Try contacting a few of the air charter companies or look at Co-pilot mag to see what you may need.
For business jets on two pilot operation it is an advantage to have an FAA ATP as most are on Cayman or US redg.
People like Netjets or Flexjets usually want at least 1500 hrs with 500Turbine or jet and a current type rating. Uk companies like Hamlin or Execjets will want more, say 2500 with 1000 jet or tubine.
There is no time to learn on the business jet scene and planes like the G5 are really mini airliners, so the companies cannot afford to take any risks with low experience jet pilots and wealthy PAX.
I know on my outfit's hull liability insurance we have a minimum of 2500 fast jet for co-pilots.
The pay at the twin piston end is not good and light turbines like the C406 will pay FO's 16-18K Captains 21-25K.
Business jets FO's pay is better but you are worked hard.
Best of luck.