PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Thesis

ATPMBA
13th Nov 2002, 01:23
Does anyone have any ideas/topics for an academic thesis covering helicopters ? Areas could include operations, instrument flight, offshore, ems, aerodynamics, etc.

Dave Jackson
13th Nov 2002, 02:47
Here are two ideas, c/w preliminary data, in the field of helicopter aerodynamics, which you might want to consider.

Rotor Induced Vibration Control:
Leading & Trailing Edge Flaps (http://www.unicopter.com/1087.html)
Lower Surface Flap(s) (http://www.unicopter.com/1112.html)

Rotor Efficiency:
Controllable Blade Twist (http://www.unicopter.com/1101.html)

Dave J.

IHL
13th Nov 2002, 12:56
Affordable Anti-iceing/de-iceing for helicopters.

misterbonkers
13th Nov 2002, 18:16
urm - the anti-icing thing has been worked on and a successful thing has been produced, it was in rotor&wing months back.

Also, the controllable blade twist - the japs are working on this using ceramics that you heat with electric elements - voila - anti ice and blade twist in one.

CRAN
13th Nov 2002, 21:54
Whats your background and what level is the thesis (and where)
BSc, MSc PhD?

CRAN

inthegreen
14th Nov 2002, 03:28
Maybe you can answer the eternal question of why aircraft manufacturers always outfit their new designs with engines and tail rotors that aren't strong enough to make the design really useful?

etnb
14th Nov 2002, 04:41
Or maybe the never ending story - Aoturotation and ground effect

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70866

:rolleyes:

Barannfin
14th Nov 2002, 04:48
Actually I think the true never ending story was the mysterious Delta3 hinge paired with coning. :confused: :rolleyes:
just as long as it flies:cool:

ATPMBA
14th Nov 2002, 11:32
CRAN,

My background includes an ATP airplane, Commercial and Instrument Helicopter. I have flown professionally and have over 4000 hours, most of it in airplanes, 2000 hours in jets. Have been an airplane CFI and in the process of becoming a helicopter CFI. I have a Masters in Business Administration from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I am currently working on the ATPL(H) theory portion through a distance learning program. I am skilled in computer programmer/analyst and work as a computer consultant, I also have a side business of doing aviation consulting, startups, audits, manuals and documentation, etc.

Long range, I may do a Phd. in aviation and would need a thesis topic, short term I may need a topic for an extra college class.

I am open to other, more business related topics that cover EMS, NVG, offshore, helicopter airlines, CRM, cockpit design, IFR, etc.

I would like to hear from the helicopter community as to what they think is important.

Jack S.
14th Nov 2002, 23:39
How about CRM and PDM?
It's still at an early stage in the industry and leaves lots of room for personal interpretation on the thesis. It also looks a bit deeper in the psyche of your average helicopter pilot.
Just look on this forum to see some ideas regarding medevac flying versus bending rules....
Possibilities are endless when you use a subject that leaves room for interpretation instead of hard technical facts.
Could be fun.
Just a thought anyway.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Nov 2002, 14:22
Sorry to bring fixed wing aeroplanes into it, but it is what I do mostly. I'm doing a PhD with a well known university, working title being "airworthiness evaluation techniques for light aeroplanes", which is essentially my day-job. In my case I approached the university with the specific proposal and they accepted it. The reason I picked that subject is because I understand and work in it, despite which the PhD is still *** hard work.

My point is, particularly since you're an aviation professional already, pick something close to your work and interests, or you'll struggle very badly with time, motivation, and access to the real cutting edge information.

As it happens however, my PhD supervisor is a well known helicopter aerodynamicist (he has written a book that's been mentioned favourably in this forum on several occasions) who I've known for over 10 years. A very good piece of advice I was given before I started my PhD 5 years ago was to get a supervisor I could get on with and respected professionally; this coming above the status of the university itself. This has worked out well (so far, and hopefully only a year to go), and if you'd like me to put you in touch with him, please drop me an Email and I'll gladly do so.

Diverging slightly, there is a document (again, not ostensibly rotary wing, but there are two projects (top of page 4, bottom of page 5) equally applicable to helicopters)) at http://www.bmaa.org/019_2.pdf which may be worth looking at.

G

helmet fire
18th Nov 2002, 00:47
Are you searching for Human Factors based subjects, or for technical orientation as per the blade dynamics suggested above?

How about:

HF: The level of penetration, and demonstrated effectiveness of current CRM training on helicopter operations. Or : Medical Vs Flying protocols in EMS helo Ops.

Tech: Erosion/corrosion effects and most appropriate protection protocols of salt/sand/dust laden environments for dynamic components and airframe.

Silly Bunt
19th Nov 2002, 02:36
How about something radical:

An Analysis of the Difference in Economic Efficiencies between Unionized and Non-union Employee Groups.

!

HeloTeacher
19th Nov 2002, 13:47
How about Integrating Helicopter In The Existing Air Transport Infrastructure.