PDA

View Full Version : What can we do about Saftey

mattman
12th Nov 2002, 16:30
I was recently asked to attend a saftey course in South Africa. Now due to the circumstances and a bit of forgetfulness (PLease forgive me) I did not attend.The big reason was that I was way too busy and secondly the costs infolved to great. To us in genreal aviation level we all know that the last penny count's in a make or break it situation. My point when it comes to saftey at what cost can we put it. I know as we all do that we can't put a price on saftey. The problem these day's is we can't afford to attend these important lecture's. Just the course alone was over 1000 bucks a day and we had to provide our own transport and accomodation. PLus we are in our end of year season and can't afford to lose a pilot even for those few days. The point is ,should'nt saftey related course's and seminars be affordable if not freely available to all pilot's (including CRM and Dangerous goods). Now you might think of me as a bit of a scrooge but with increasing price's and the weak rand dollar and the cutthroat buisness we are in ,it feels like we are in a bit of a collapsing star.We are being sucked dry by our indrustry from within. Saftey concerns us all but if a incident is in the making it concerns us all, and we are all at risk. We must remember there are not only the high performance in the air ,there are also the trainers ,cropdusters, and light aircraft in the air. Should there not be a more accesiable way of passing the info on to the one's at the bottom who can't afford these important issue's.
:(

AfricanSkies
12th Nov 2002, 17:29
For safety, I've always found that attention to detail works a treat.....

I understand, however, that a saftey was a German fruit juice...
:D

Gunship
12th Nov 2002, 18:57
a Condomn ....

Seriously: Mattman, I can not believe your company can not afford R1k per day for safety ... if that is what you mean by a thou bucks per day as it is definately not $1k per day !

Safety is just not arguable when money is involved. Your company MUST pay and MUST have quallified Safety Officers on board. I am sure it is even against ICAO rules and regs not to have safety officers on board.

I was lucky - the SAAF paid for it - think it was still R100 per day (ok, ok Bert I know the Rand was 1 to 1 against the dollar - middle ages but even so - I remain with my point money must NEVER be an issue when it get's to safety.... :rolleyes:

international hog driver
13th Nov 2002, 00:38
We have safety pilots coming out the cazoo.

We have check and training which sometimes works.

But the biggest problem we have is nepotisum.

There will still be hull losses, the company will still hire expats (and yes i am one) until even the local bosses will fly a service crewed by to locals.

It all goes down to training and aptitude. There are some nationals that I would let my nearest and dearest fly with and there are some that are marking time and i and I would not trust with a lawn mower.

No joke but the truth, until someone pays heed to history we will continue to do our industry injustice.

:confused:

Skaz
14th Nov 2002, 05:04
ha!

MamboBaas
14th Nov 2002, 11:43
Int Hog D
Sounds like you're working in Nigeria!!
;)

Gunship
15th Nov 2002, 09:24
After every flight, pilots complete a gripe sheet which conveys to
the mechanics problems encountered with the aircraft during the
flight that need repair or correction. The form is a piece of paper
that the pilot completes and then the mechanics read and correct the problem.
They then respond in writing on the lower half of the form what
remedial action was taken and the pilot reviews the gripe sheets
before the next flight.

Never let it be said that ground crews and engineers lack a
sense of humour. Here are some actual logged maintenance complaints
and problems, as submitted by QANTAS pilots and the solution
recorded by maintenance engineers.

By the way, Qantas is the only major airline that has never had an accident.

P = The problem logged by the pilot.
S = The solution and action taken by the engineers.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
S: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

P: No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.
S: No. 2 propeller seepage normal. No's 1, 3, and 4 propellers lack
normal seepage.

P: Something lose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 fpm descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what they're there for.

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with words.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

Gun's I've removed the U from QANTAS before you cause offense to the Ozmates.

Err & yes, if you think that running a 747-400 off the end of the runway in Bangkok, trashing the gear and a little known Super Connie prang in Mauritius (V1 cut, off the end, total write-off) do not constitute accidents, then yes, QANTAS has never had an accident. 4HP

Gunship
15th Nov 2002, 20:57
Thanks 4HP,

Yeah it seems it fits better in this thread. I just wish my english was better that I can be more beneficial to this thread as it is a very important point raised by MATTMAN.

Just seems very strange to pay your own way ...:rolleyes:

May the bocks at least WIN t'row ... please ...