PDA

View Full Version : BA application form question

Deemy
29th Jan 2001, 13:56
Hey guys,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with the question:

Determination and high standards.

Just some tips and/or hints would be great. Perhaps you could share your experiences.

I know it is a very personal thing but I'd be grateful for some input.

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Deemy (edited 29 January 2001).]

Pontius
29th Jan 2001, 23:42
Deemy,

Now I know this is going to sound a little harsh, but you really need to get on and answer these questions yourself. As you correctly said, it's a very personal thing and there is going to be nobody else to help you when you get to the interview stage.

Go and look up the definitions of the words and, using the guidance supplied with the application form, see how those definitions fit into your life experiences. Choose a good one and elaborate.

There are no right answers to these things and you need to figure out an answer based on your own thoughts and not what others might tell you to write.

Good luck and keep your shoes shiny.....high standards and all that.

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!

WGW
30th Jan 2001, 01:54
The tips I got were as follows (and they worked for me):

1. ATFQ - if it asks for AN example, give AN example, if it asks for 'evidence', give exampleS (plural). Failure to do this means lack of attention to detail = bin.

2. When you answer, make sure to put (1) what the situation was, (2) what YOU did, (3) what the outcome was (who benefitted, how much, how many people made happier, how much money saved, etc)

3. For the motivation bit, refer to BA's documentation. Phrases like 'world's favourite airline', 'best in the world' may sound cliched, but they love that sh*t apparently.

3. Get it right before you put pen to paper. Use a word processor first. Start with brief notes and expand as you go until you've got a page full without woffle, play with word order (for hours if necessary) til it reads like poetry. Spell check, grammar check, double check. Read and re-read it. Get your mates to read it. Get your dad, your girlfriend, your tutor to read it. Only then put pen to paper.

4. Don't lie. You will get found out, as they will refer to the app form at interview. Also for this reason, know what you wrote. After you've transcribed in your best copper-plate onto the real thing (don't drip sweat on the page, it smudges the ink), go back to your Word document and make sure it's identical. Then you've got a record of what you put down.

5. Deep breath, off to the post box. You'll get a 'Thanks' letter within days, invite to aptitudes within a week or two.

6. Check the Wannabes Archive for aptitude info and final board tips and you're on your way.

:)

WGW

Pandora
31st Jan 2001, 15:13
Pontius

you're right - it does sound harsh. Hes not asking anyone to write his answer for him, just some suggestions on how to be successful, and if that works, well hey, whats wrong with that?

Deemy, follow WGWs advice, it is very good. Everything needs to be absolutely perfect. Another useful thing to know is that they are looking for certain words or words that convey a sense of determination. Can't help you any more there because it all seems like a long time ago for me.

ROTATION
31st Jan 2001, 15:29
To add to WGW's second point, I found it useful during the planning stage to write seperate paragraphs for what done, how done and results, then to stitch them together at the end. This ensures you don't forget to put down anything you were asked for.
For determination, just find a project you undertook and explain how you stuck with it, getting help where needed, to get the result you set out to achieve. Project can be as mundane as you like, it's how you did it that counts.

Good luck with the verbal reasoning test!

wunala dreaming
31st Jan 2001, 17:37
Deemy,

I'm also filling out one of those things!! What the rest of the lads have said so far is spot on. I've been writing my answers, and rewriting them, for the last week and a half. It takes time, but I reckon it's VITAL that you do what they tell you to do, i.e. be concise and break the answers into sections. The effort will (hopefully) be worth it in the end.

Good luck,
WD

Princess PP
31st Jan 2001, 19:16
Hey Guys,

I'm sorry to butt in. I too have been trying to complete the BA application form to the best of my abilities but I have been doing it on the BA website. This has been a real pain as you cannot move around at will, coming back to questions and viewing the thing as a whole, I'd much rather put pen to paper!

Can somebody tell me which is the best address to contact for an application form to be sent to me?

Would it be direct to "The Rivers" at Cranebank?

WGW... your advice sounds pretty solid, I'm taking notes!

PPP

and the chap said
31st Jan 2001, 20:42
Princess,

Call BA TEP recruitment on 0870 607 3777 ( that's +44 870 607 3777 if you happen to be outside the UK). They'll ask you a series of questions and if you're elligble, send you a form.

Agreed, WGW's notes are good. Also you might think about photocopying the form before writing on it. Fill out the copy first, to ensure it fits in the space provided. Be a downer if you get to the end of a question and run out of..

Best of luck,
ATCS

Pontius
31st Jan 2001, 22:50
Pandora,

If the original question had asked for advice on filling out the application form then I would have said you were correct and wouldn't have replied as I did. The advice given by WGW is good, sound stuff.

However, if you read the request, Deemy asks for advice about a specific topic (Determination and High Standards) and is not asking a generic question at all. It is for this reason that I responded 'harshly'. People need to sort out their own answers, honestly. You'll only get caught out if you end up using someone elses......especially if it's posted here for ALL to see (know what I mean when I say ALL).

It's interesting to here the Website way of doing things is lacking......are you listening BA?

Chocolates aweigh,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!

Deemy
1st Feb 2001, 02:14
Sorry to kick up a fuss guys,

It just goes to show even 2 and a bit years at university don't provide enough for some people to fill in something as straight forward as that.

No problem though I'm well on my way.

jollygreengiant
1st Feb 2001, 13:33
Write the form really clearly and neatly and as ATCS says, photocopy the form and write it out first and make sure other people can read it easily - if you find an application which anybody spends longer working on please let me know.

Princess PP
2nd Feb 2001, 16:22
Thanks ATCS!

My internet provider here in Germany has been next to useless over the past few days, so I only got your info today.

Called the number and it's on it's way!

Thanks again,

PPP :)

[This message has been edited by Princess PP (edited 02 February 2001).]