PDA

View Full Version : cargo pressure??

bubbleboy
12th Nov 2002, 05:38
Can anyone please tell me whether the cargo hold on a jet like the Boeing and Airbus families are at the same pressure as the passenger cabin when in flight? I am having a debate with a freight forwarding company that is saying non-flammable aerosol cans like a single shaving foam can cannot be transported in the cargo hold as the cargo hold is not at the same pressure as the passenger hold and can explode. In my experience I find this hard to believe. Can anyone confirm this or give me evidence of such things??????

pistol_pete
12th Nov 2002, 06:21
I can't say for sure, but since animals and such are kept in the cargo hold one would imagine it would be the same.

Hugh Jarse
12th Nov 2002, 07:27
Bubbleboy,
I can only speak from the humble turboprop point of view and say that the pressure bulkheads are at the front and rear of the aircraft, and above and below the floor is pressurised.

However, regardless of what you are told, what you can freight by air is governed by the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations. If they state you cannot send a single shaving foam in the hold, then you can't do it.

Freight forwarders are usually VERY savvy with the regs.

Your can of shaving foam may not be able to travel in the hold of a passenger aircraft, but might be able to go in a cargo aircraft.

You could always buy an electric razor....;)

Dale Harris
12th Nov 2002, 07:49
ANY aerosol, be it flammable or otherwise, is classified as Dangerous Goods, and as such if the freight forwarding company has a DG handling approval, and the airline or aircraft operator has a DG handling approval, then there is no problem as long as the item meets the approved standard of packaging. Outside of the approval system, it is forbidden to carry DG. There are excepted quantities for small personal items, and the list of these items is available from most airlines. Or of course, if you can afford it, find a copy of the IATA DG Regulations and read up. Does make for some interesting reading............

404 Titan
12th Nov 2002, 08:30
From the Airbus's point of view, the main cabin and cargo holds are of exactly the same pressure in flight. The main cabin floor is not designed to carry any load except that of the main cabin. I would imagine that Boeing would be exactly the same. Some cargo compartments may not be heated and therefore can't carry live animals.

SepsOff
12th Nov 2002, 09:14
BB
I think HJ is on the right track, it's not because of the hold not being at the same pressure as the cabin (the floor would cave in) but rather the DG regs. Aerosols are permitted to be carried in carry-on and checked baggage in limited quantities. for personal use . A Max of 2kg or 2L per person, with each single article no greater than 0.5kg or 0.5L.
What they are saying is they don't like aerosols because they contain sh*t that can explode and or catch fire but if you need it to keep you from being smelly then you can take it on board. If you are trying to ship it for any other reason, then use a ship.

Ultralights
20th Nov 2002, 07:07
The cargo Hold on all Boeing aircraft is the same pressure as the passenger cabin.

ever noticed all those little blue vents along the bottom of the walls of the passenger cabin, the entire length of the cabin from nose to tail? those are equalisation vents (dado panels) that allow even pressurisation to the cargo hold and passenger cabin.

But it must be noted that the passenger cabin is only pressurised to a pressure nearly equal to about 8000Ft. as this lowers the pressure differentiation between the cabin pressure and external atmospheric pressure (which is low at altitude)

it is the fact that the cabin is at a relative low pressure to sea level that make aerosol cans etc dangerous. as the cabin pressure is at approx 8000Ft and not sea level.

hope this helps.