PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Recurtiment

Lupin
11th Nov 2002, 12:56
I woul like to join BA for many reasons.

It might be true that my life goal is based on myth but not just on that. I've always thought BA ranks first worldwide for both its professionality and reliability.

Secondly I personally feel that working abroad would be extremely interesting experience.

Last but not least career perspectives given by the BA fleet are likely to be better than in Italy.

Thank you all,

Lupin

Jet II
11th Nov 2002, 13:31
Go to

British Airways Jobs (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/)

I don't think they will be recruiting flight crew in the near future, but you never know.

Good luck with your application.

Dan Winterland
11th Nov 2002, 17:07
Recruitment starts again from the middle of next year - from a mate who heard the horse say so!

Select Zone Five
11th Nov 2002, 17:24
Just curious Lupin...are you attracted to BA because you would like a chance to fly Concorde or is it another reason?

I only ask because I was thinking, just the other day, how fortunate British and French pilots are to have an easier route.

5th Pod
14th Nov 2002, 08:19
Hello lupin
BA Minimum requirements:
1500 HRS, on aircraft over 25 tones - exeption fast military jet
MCC,
Performance A,
Face that fits,( i work for them, not flying)
Good luck

Victor Mike
15th Nov 2002, 10:27
Just to add to the info, no problems with nationality as long as
a) Your English is reasonable
b)You have the right to work in the UK (which all EU citizens do)

We now have a lot of non-brits working for the airline, and I know of at least one Italian (and an incredibly large number of Dutch... )

Good luck with the selection

Victor Mike

Capt Pit Bull
15th Nov 2002, 11:34
Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to work for BA?

This is a serious question, because it would be sad if your life goal was based on false premises.

For myself, since my previous employer was taken over by BA, I can honestly say that it leaves a lot to be desired.

Thats not to say that it doesn't have its good points. Certainly, given the current state of the industry, simple inertia will probably keep me there for the time being. But I could not in good conscience recommend it as an employer, and certainly I wouldn't relocate to a different country to work for them.

That said, everything depends on your personal and professional circumstances, which is why I was wondering what you think is so great about BA. It would be a shame if your life goal was based on myth rather than reality!

CPB

NW1
15th Nov 2002, 14:20
For myself, since my previous employer was taken over by BA, I can honestly say that it leaves a lot to be desired
Which meaning here of the word "since" do you intend: "from the point when" or "because"?

Just asking......

From my own perspective BA is a far better place to be than the 3 other companies I have worked for before them, and I would happily recommend them as an employer based on my own previous and current experience.

Capt Pit Bull
15th Nov 2002, 17:05
Well, I meant because.

I don't suppose it suddenly became the way it is the instant we were taken over.....

CPB

NW1
15th Nov 2002, 19:53
Well, I think it a shame that you think BA as an employer leaves a lot to be desired <<because>> they took over your previous employer. That seems like sour grapes. I had hoped your use of the word "since" would have been "from the point when". Oh well.

Obviously this is subjective, and I am quite prepared to accept that you'd rather not fly for BA given the choice; but I resigned from a very stable, solid UK airline to go to BA and have never once regretted it. I would never in a million years make a different decision given my time again - and for me that is the acid test. I consider myself very lucky to be where I am.

One can only observe as one finds - and I wish Lupin all the luck in the world in following his own choice - but I would endorse it if he sought my opinion, FWIW.

Ciao,
NW1

Capt Pit Bull
15th Nov 2002, 21:55
NW1,

Bah, sour grapes?

Look dude, every time anyone suggests that not everythign is 100% perfect at BA there is somebody like you who has to pipe up and try and imply that we are somehow maladjusted to hold that viewpoint.

Since you seem intent on recieving a piece of my mind, here you go:

The point of that para of my post was to establish how I came to be in a position to have an opinion about BA, not to say that BA are poor because of that situation.

However, as it has come up, the whole takeover and so called integration stinks of the mismanagement that typifies why BA is such a depressing company to work for.

BTW, I'm quite content to FLY for BA, its the rest of the work environment that is depressing.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't know its broke, you can't fix it!

CPB

NW1
15th Nov 2002, 23:42
Capt. Pit Bill:every time anyone suggests that not everythign is 100% perfect at BA there is somebody like you who has to pipe up and try and imply that we are somehow maladjusted to hold that viewpointI did no such thing. Take a slightly more dispassionate look at my post, particularly where I wrote:Obviously this is subjective, and I am quite prepared to accept that you'd rather not fly for BA given the choiceI am quite happy with the concept that my exerience and opinion is 180 degrees removed from yours and that neither is right or wrong - but I felt it important to express it nevertheless. I make no apologies for that, and moreover I do not imply any character defect in those who don't agree. Even paranoia.

Since you seem intent on recieving a piece of my mind, here you go:No, I was just putting my own opinion forward, do you have a problem with that?.The point of that para of my post was to establish how I came to be in a position to have an opinion about BA, not to say that BA are poor because of that situation.Well, that's why I asked for clarification. You confirmed that your low opinion of BA was because of their takeover of your company, not because of your experiences since that event. Perhaps you meant otherwise?

However, as it has come up, the whole takeover and so called integration stinks of the mismanagement that typifies why BA is such a depressing company to work for.All I am saying is that I have worked for BA for a decade and a half and am not depressed - far from it - I consider myself lucky to be where I am. If BA is the party which is so mismanaged, then how come your employer was taken over? That is only my opinion, it may be opposite to yours but that is no reason to reach for the "toys out of the pram" checklist.

BTW, I'm quite content to FLY for BA, its the rest of the work environment that is depressing.All I'm saying, is that I find completely otherwise. Simple as that. And I would recommend BA to Lupin without a second thought. Sorry if you don't agree - but I don't accuse you of any character defect for not doing so. Its just my own opinion borne from experience - that's all. I respect your opinion; please respect mine.

Lupin
17th Nov 2002, 10:12
It might be true that my life goal is based on myth but not just that.

I've always thought BA ranks firstly worldwide for both its professionality and reliability.

Secondly I personally feel working abroad would be extremely interesting experience.

Last but non least career perspectives given the BA fleet are likely to be better than in Italy.

Thank you all,

Lupin

Capt Pit Bull
18th Nov 2002, 15:34
Lupin,

Personally, I don't want to live abroad, it doesn't fit in with the rest of my life. So for me, if I was going to move abroad because of a job, it would have to be very very special.

In those terms, BA wouldn't qualify.

However, given that at least part of your reason is that you would like to experience living abroad anyway, then the relative importance of the job quality would decrease.

I.E. if you came to BA, and ended up not liking it, at least you could move jobs again and say that at least you'd had the experience of living in England for a few years. So, yes, why not go for it. As I said, BA does have some good points, in particular the pilot community are generally a good bunch regardless of their reputation (apart from the occaisional miserable bloke like me!)

I guess I was concerned that you might be thinking that BA was so excellent that it was to be followed at all costs. I just would hate for someone to go to all the hassle of relocating to a foreign country, and then end up not enjoying the job.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

CPB

NW1,

I am quite happy with the concept that my exerience and opinion is 180 degrees removed from yours and that neither is right or wrong - but I felt it important to express it nevertheless. I make no apologies for that, and moreover I do not imply any character defect in those who don't agree. Even paranoia.

Sorry, NW1, but I don't think you are. You could have simply said something along the lines of 'Actually, i don't agree with pit bull, BA is fine', but instead you choose to characterise my opinion as being based on sour grapes, and therefore by implicationnot based any sound reasoning.

If BA is the party which is so mismanaged, then how come your employer was taken over?

Hah! ROFL!

A purely hypothetical situation. Any resemblance to any real situation is purely coincidental:

Party A starts a small airline with half a dozen people chucking some cash into a pot, and getting a bit more from the city. A few year later, they have built up a small but successful airline operating some 24 aircraft with another batch of jets on order.

Party B are a large flag carrying airline, with a substantial turnover but wafer thin profit margin.

Party B expresses an interest in purchasing Party A's company. The city sees a chance to gets it money back with a *very* substantial return.

The deal is done. Party A head of into the sunset with bulging wallets.

Party B, on the other hand, proceed to destroy their new purchase. Without going into details, after 18 months all the aircraft have either gone or are scheduled to go, many routes have been axed, most staff have been gone, those that remain are largely angry and demotivated. To put the final cherry on the cake, management are quoted as saying that the 70 million spent buying the company was a total waste. This makes the remaining staff, that represent the *only* thing that Party B has retained from that purchase, feel particularly valued (not).

Which group is better managed then NW1?

I respect your opinion; please respect mine.

You're perfectly entitled to hold an opinion, however if that opinion is that BA are a well managed organisation then expect me to rubbish it on a regular basis. Maybe your part of it is, I wouldn't know, but it certainly isn't universal.

Guess Lupin had better hope he is posted to your fleet not mine, eh?

CPB

NW1
19th Nov 2002, 09:47
The only reason I smelt sour grapes was because I thought you were implying that BA was wanting <<because>> they took over your previous company not <<how>> they did it - that's why I went to so much trouble to check the wordage - sorry if I didn't express that very well.......:(

Also, I'm truly sorry you have reason to feel so disillusioned by the way things turned out. I hope things improve as time goes on - for all of our sakes.

Good luck for the future,
NW1

White Knight
26th Nov 2002, 10:33
I have to agree wholeheartedly with the "pit bull". BA has ruined a great operation. Absolute mismanagement !!:mad: :mad:

Apart from the fact that the airline is basically a rudderless ship, and throw in the fact that being a pilot with BA is on a par with being a bus driver with BA - with bus drivers being paid more than some of the pilots - etc,etc, I have to say that BA is not my scene. I have worked for some really great companies over the years, and becoming part of BA was a real let-down.

Personally I'm putting my money where my mouth is and have resigned to go and work for an airline that seems to treat it's flight crew with respect and more to the point is actually going somewhere. As opposed to BA's shrinking.

I'm glad you're happy NW1, good luck to your future - and Lupin, whatever you decide to do good luck to you too. Just don't let the myth cloud the reality.