11th Nov 2002, 06:50
From DJ website:

VIRGIN BLUE INCREASES SERVICES IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS

MELBOURNE - HOBART SERVICES DOUBLED
LAUNCH OF SEASONAL SYDNEY - LAUNCESTON DIRECT DAILY SERVICES
50% INCREASE IN WEEKDAY MELBOURNE – GOLD COAST FREQUENCIES
SECOND DAILY SYDNEY - SUNSHINE COAST SERVICE FOR CHRISTMAS PERIOD
ADDITIONAL MELBOURNE – LAUNCESTON SERVICE FOR HOLIDAYS

Virgin Blue’s bold expansion plans are gathering momentum, with the announcement today of even more flight choices across a number of popular routes in time for the Christmas holidays.
Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey said, “It is evident from demand on our current services that thousands of people are taking advantage of Virgin Blue’s low fares and our enhanced schedule will provide more opportunity for travellers to get away with affordable air travel to more and more destinations across the country with both non-stop and connecting services”.

The new services include:

(1) Effective 15 and 16 December 2002

Melbourne-Hobart
FLIGHT N0. DEP ARR MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
DJ174 8.40am 9.50am Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
DJ192 5.00pm 6.10pm Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

Hobart-Melbourne
DJ179 10.20am 11.30am Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
DJ195 6.45pm 7.55pm Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

The low fare airline will double services between Melbourne and Hobart in time for Christmas with two additional daily flights to and from the mainland.

While only commencing Melbourne – Hobart services two months ago, strong load factors on existing services and demand for extra flights prompted Virgin Blue to boost capacity, with the new flights specifically designed to offer business travellers real choice in the market with a convenient day return option.

The new services will also provide another low fare alternative for those eager to get away for the holidays or to visit friends and families.

Everyday one way low fares start from $99* one way on the net.

(2) Effective 15 December 2002

Sydney-Launceston
DJ456 10.30am 12.05pm Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

Launceston-Sydney
DJ457 1.30pm 3.10pm Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

Virgin Blue will also introduce a new service between Launceston and Sydney with the launch of daily direct seasonal flights.

Following strong demand on current connecting flights between the two cities Virgin Blue has launched the new daily service with fares starting from $149* one way and a Fully Flexible walk-up fare of $299* one way, 29% less than the $419 walk-up fare the competition has been demanding from the travelling public until now.

(3) Effective 19 December 2002 UNTIL 13 January 2003

Melbourne-Launceston
DJ630 8.40pm 9.40pm Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

Launceston-Melbourne
DJ629 9.10pm 10.10pm Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

In addition, a third daily service between Launceston and Melbourne will also be added to the schedule for the Christmas holiday period.

(4) Effective 16 December 2002

Melbourne-Gold Coast
DJ987 11.30am 12.30pm Y Y Y Y Y N N
DJ987 12.00pm 1.00pm N N N N N Y Y

Gold Coast-Melbourne
DJ988 1.00pm 4.10pm Y Y Y Y Y N N
DJ988 1.30pm 4.40pm N N N N N Y Y

Flights between Melbourne and the Gold Coast are also included in the flight bonanza with the addition of a third daily service from Monday to Friday providing an extra 50% increase in weekday frequency over existing service levels.

Weekend flights will also receive a boost with an extra daily flight bringing the total to four flights a day on both Saturdays and Sundays.

Everyday one way low fares start from $149* one way on the net.

(5) Effective 21 December 2002 UNTIL 13 January 2003

Sydney-Sunshine Coast
DJ497 3.45pm 4.15pm Y Y Y Y Y N Y
DJ497 4.00pm 4.30pm N N N N N Y N

Sunshine Coast-Sydney
DJ498 4.45pm 7.20pm Y Y Y Y Y N Y
DJ498 5.00pm 7.35pm N N N N N Y N

The addition of a second daily seasonal service between Sydney and Maroochydore will be offered until January 13, 2003 to cope with demand for the new direct service that was launched only four weeks ago.

The new late afternoon timing provides good early evening returns from the Sunshine Coast to the NSW capital allowing travellers to make the most of their time on the coast.

Everyday one way low fares start from $109* one way on the net.

The latest round of extra flights will further expand Virgin Blue’s existing route network with its brand new Boeing 737 aircraft to be operated on all of these routes.

”These are exciting times for Virgin Blue, it’s a huge growth phase for us as we cement our position as Australia’s leading low fare airline, the only carrier offering real low fares on a regular basis as well as genuine and friendly service in the air and on the ground”, Brett Godfrey finished.

* Fares include all taxes and charges and are for flights booked on the Internet. $10 more by phone.

:)

Raider1
11th Nov 2002, 08:34
Is the above a paid advertisement lol

The Enema Bandit
12th Nov 2002, 02:53
If Virgin is the leading low fare operator in Australia, who are the others?

Rich-Fine-Green
12th Nov 2002, 03:28
DJ the low fare airline?

I've had the need to fly domestic about 6 times this year so far as SLF.

It might just be a co-incidence but so far based on price (internet booked) QF has equalled or bettered DJ on each occasion.

Anyone else??

BTW; Not a dig at DJ and not an endorsement for QF so please save the ammo for another target. I'm just voting with my wallet.

Sweet N Innocent
12th Nov 2002, 04:23
RFG

When you compare a VB full economy fare to a QF full economy fare, this gives
a true indication of savings between the two carriers.
Yes VB has some super cheap fares and I am sure QF does too, but it all boils
down to loads for that particular flight... Once the alloated super cheap seats are sold
the fares move up in price as I am sure you already know.
Maybe this gives an indication of loads on VB flights... less cheap fares = less seats avail ??
A good indication that business is doing just fine, me thinks!!

SNI

Rich-Fine-Green
13th Nov 2002, 01:18
S.N.I.

I'm sure you're right. And good luck to DJ for max bums on seats.

But, I'm yet to have the pleasure of riding in a Sir Dicky Bus as (you pointed out) QF must have the seats when I want them.

Must be my booking style - unorganised more than three days ahead.

S.N.I., look out for me, I'll be there one day. I'll be the grizzled old guy in the windows seat, with a squint, large broken nose, cauliflower rugby ears and finger on the service button for alcohol when the seatbelt sign flicks off.

;)

djembe56
13th Nov 2002, 02:05
I've wondered about this. Do you suppose DJs cheap seats go quickly because people assume they're the cheaper airline and therefore go to them first? I've had a number of experiences whereby QF came up a lot cheaper several weeks before the anticipated travel date, although once I needed to book at fare a few days in advance and DJ were cheaper.

Must say I'm impressed with the way they respond to increased holiday demand. QF on the other hand reduced flights into Ltn just as demand was starting to pick up over the summer period.

Couldn't quite see the logic in it.

Have also smiled at statements referring to them as the best low cost airline in Australia when evidently they're the only one. Also, they're often referred to as the second largest airline in Australia. I would have thought that National Jet Systems held that honour?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

HOBAY 3
13th Nov 2002, 05:31
djembe56,

Have QF further reduced flights to Ltn, or are you referring to the reductions announced in October? My data shows extra flights per week on Ltn-Syd over summer with extra Ltn-Mel permant flights beginning in Jan.

With regards to being impressed with DJs holiday capacity, it's even more apparent 200km south in Hobart. Prior to DJ we only had 1 month of proper competion, and for that one month in April last year, we had more seats and pax than ever before!!! Current availabilty shows slightly more capacity now than for April last year, so provided QF don't cut back for summer, I think there could be another record for the Hba-Mel sector, given there will actually be a decent number of cheap fares available for once!!!

;)

Raider1
14th Nov 2002, 03:53
I know when I was with AN it was a regular discussion as to whether to drop HBA and LST because of the losses being suffered. Apparently other jet routes all had a varying mix of full fare and deep discount fares. But with the Tassie routes it was only a deep discount market. Therefore you needed a full plane just to get 50% revenue. Eventually they tried the CRJ's and we all know what happened there.
Maybe DJ as a discount operator can make Tassie work where others have failed.

HOBAY 3
14th Nov 2002, 04:12
Let's hope so Raider1! They must be confident going from 1 to 4 in such a short time. Even more so when you discover that the only routes on their network with more services are Mel-Syd, Bne-Syd, Bne-Mel and Adl-Mel (which are the top 4 sectors in the country). Nice change going from the last capital city to be serviced up to becomming one of the pride routes of the network! I don't want to push it, but didn't they say they might start a nonstop service to Syd soon as well??

;)

HOBAY 3
16th Nov 2002, 03:30
By the way Raider,
It was only about a week ago I was slagging DJ off for dumping capacity onto ROK, so I doubt very much whether this topic would be a paid add!!

;)

sprucegoose
16th Nov 2002, 06:26
No djembe56, National Jet would not be the second largest airline. Firstly DJ would operate many more revenue seat kilometers/passenger kilometers than NJS, not sure on aircraft numbers but there will be more aircraft in the DJ fleet by years end and finally as NJS have always been very quick to point out they are not an airline but an "aviation service provider."

Metro Boy
20th Nov 2002, 03:41
Does anybody know when Corrigan travels interstate, does he fly Virgin or go for the extra perks that Qantas offer?

HGW
20th Nov 2002, 07:25
100% Virgin every time.

His overseas trips will soon be with Atlantic.

Soon the picture is going to look very large with Virgin Blue, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Pacific (or whatever its called).

pullock
20th Nov 2002, 18:38
Virgin Pacific.......

I still reckon the name would have been better if it was

Virgin Down Under

Mind U I never submitted my idea............

Sweet N Innocent
21st Nov 2002, 04:44
I've heard the new venture would be called Pacific Blue...
Apparently there will be no mention of Virgin in the new carriers name as they will eventually fly routes that
compete with SQ.
Can anyone confirm this???

SNI :p :p :p

apacau
21st Nov 2002, 05:04
Thanks to skip fulton comes the following juicy info:

www.pacificblue.com.au is registered to Pacific Blue Airlines Pty Ltd

That company was previously named Blue International Pty Ltd. The name was changed on 27/11/2001.