PDA

View Full Version : The Branson Expansion

Auspilot
11th Nov 2002, 01:09
Watching an interview with Richard Branson on Sky News on the weekend, he said that he expected VB to triple in size over the next 5 years. Would this mean a shortage of pilots in Australia or would it just simply put out of work pilots back in the job? I don't really know the big picture of how many idle CPL's there are waiting for work in Australia. I am just starting my training for CPL/ATPL at Moorabbin and I am trying to get a feel for what the industry may be like when I start looking for work in a couple of years. Anyone got a crystal ball?

:)

oldhasbeen
11th Nov 2002, 05:42
Aus, over the last 20 odd years since I did my licence I have seen about 4 or 5 boom and bust times for recruitment in to the various airlines. On another thread a while ago I was howled down by " experienced" fellows from Bankstown who didn't believe there would ever be a shortage again.I would only say to you to go for it because as sure as the old sun rises in the east ( I think ) there WILL be a shortage and an over supply and another shortage all probably before you get the minimum hours up!!
Good Luck to you :)

Ref + 10
11th Nov 2002, 23:40
Aus, at the moment the industry is in a bit of a slump, from what I've seen. I was told by a chief pilot that I had an interview with that there are stacks of pilots around the traps at the moment.

It changes almost from week to week but the Ansett collapse has released a whole pile of very experienced pilots into GA. The slack will get taken up and there will be jobs to be had again. Just a matter of when!

Ref