PDA

View Full Version : Technical hitch with my JAA PPL! Any advice?

ACARS
29th Jan 2001, 01:09
Okay, so I'm reading a back issue of Flyer mag. In it, there's a guy talking about completing a JAA PPL in the states and the trouble one can find when arriving back in Europe. One thought crossed my mind reading his article.

Here's the facts. I'm english. I live in Ireland. I have a student PPL through the IAA, have passed class 2 medical and have total 12hrs in a C172. I intend on going to Florida in summer to complete a 21day JAA PPL course. When I come back to Ireland, will the IAA give me a valid JAA PPL? My understanding from the article I read was that only a select few countries give you a valid PPL, UK being one.
Should I apply for a CAA student license? Is the states a no go? Is this worry over nothing?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

[This message has been edited by ACARS (edited 28 January 2001).]

IanSeager
29th Jan 2001, 02:48
This is a situation that changes on a regular basis. The CAA will issue you with a PPL assuming that you have completed the course and have all of the ticks in the right boxes. I don't know the situation with the IAA, I'm afraid you'll have to ask them.
Ian

Noggin
29th Jan 2001, 04:26
After 1 July 2001 all PPL training conducted in the USA will require an approval from the CAA. The UK is the only country in the JAA that is intending to approve schools that are not located in a member State consequently, the UK will be the only country to issue a JAA licence based on that training. As the JAA committee recently rejected the Overseas Training proposals in NPA 14, other States could decide not to recognise that training.

EX FTE
29th Jan 2001, 06:45
Why stress about the IAA giving you a JAA PPL? The fact that you get an ICAO PPL allows you to fly day VFR within the Contracting countries FIR (ie CAA will allow you to fly a G-reg aircraft within UK FIR but not across to Ireland!) In practise this is nothing more than local CFI checking your PPL and doing a check ride then off you go in a club aircraft.

If you are doing an Approved JAA PPL course in Florida, by definition it is a CAA/JAA course since they are the only ones approving out of Europe tests. Ergo you will come back with a CAA/JAA PPL and all the priviliges / limitations that entails. It probably behooves you to understand exactly what type of PPL you will get (FAA, JAA, CAA) and make sure that the training organisation is approved by the appropriate authority. For instance they may follow the JAA syllabus but may not be able to test for it and hence give you an FAA ticket!

If you are planning on doing the F/ATPL course route then it doesnt matter, entry requirement is an ICAO PPL, (JAA, CAA, FAA)

Hope this helps.

mutt
29th Jan 2001, 08:32
ACARS the answer is NO.

The IAA are not APPROVED AT THIS TIME to issue JAR licences.

I have heard 2 target dates for approval, May 2001 and Jan 2002.

Mutt