PDA

View Full Version : R Blighty hours better or not

Mr Tuck
29th Jan 2001, 00:39
could someone please land a beam of light on one ..it has been raised im sure without doubt, and my understanding is an hour in a plane is an hour in a plane which counts.

But what guys is really preferred a euroland hour or a US or an African ?

------------------
Mr Tuck

RVR800
29th Jan 2001, 13:58
It doesnt matter

The only point of concern is that you may pick up some none UK flying habits which
could be hard to remove on a subsequent Advanced Flying course e.g. IR or CPL

e.g. N89020 ready for takeoff

foghorn
29th Jan 2001, 15:05
If you're worried about none-UK habits, Africa is the best, just about everything in aviation is the same there as in the UK, with a few exceptions (like QFE and a tiny portion of RT phraseology, not forgetting the weather and costs!)

Mr Tuck
29th Jan 2001, 16:53
Mr rvr and Monsieur fog........many thanks

Mr Tuck
29th Jan 2001, 16:53
Mr rvr and Monsieur fog........many thanks

ChampagneSupernova
29th Jan 2001, 19:29
DON'T WASTE YOU MONEY OR TIME IN AMERICA! ITS NO CHEAPER AFTER SEVERAL WEEKS THE PEOPLE DRIVE YOU MAD!

STAY IN ENGLAND YOU MAY FLY A BIT LESS OFTEN BUT ITS NOT WORTH THE GRIEF OF GOING TO THE USA!

Flying Clog
30th Jan 2001, 23:21
ChampagneSupernova:

Very impressive post indeed.

I went to the States at 18, came back at 20 with 2000 hours total and 500 multi.

At 21 I started with a UK regional turboprop and jet operator. Looking at a command on an Embraer in 18 months or so.

Flying in the States is more dificult. And the transition to UK airways/airline flying is an easy one.

In addition, the whole deal cost me 45k as opposed to the 60k it costs to do the whole thing here in Blighty.

------------------
Steady on old chap!

[This message has been edited by Flying Clog (edited 30 January 2001).]

TipTop
31st Jan 2001, 00:01
It is cheaper in the U.S. I don't think there is any doubt in that.
There are certain aspects of flying in the states that have an advantage over UK flying, and of course visa-versa.
The RT can be quite bad in the US, but have you ever flown out of Norwich (EGSH).
At the time when you need to start hour building for a professional job, you will come into the need to make the hours you fly 'good one's'. Instructing is a good example of constructive hour building. This I am sure would be more desirable to a potential employer.
I have flown around the States and the UK quite alot, I have found little differences.
Don't let this old school attitude of being better because were British fool you. Anyway, hour building in the US is more fun!

Ham Phisted
31st Jan 2001, 02:15
Working in the States drives you mad? Nonsense! Now where's my hatstand.

[This message has been edited by Ham Phisted (edited 30 January 2001).]

slim_slag
31st Jan 2001, 06:44
Champagne Exploding Death Star

GET A GRIP MAN.

You name your interests as Flying, Flying & Women yet you hate the States. With a Brit accent you should be getting yer leg over every night and you can afford to piss off in the morning in your own plane - you can be hundreds of miles away before the bimbo Californian babe wakes up.

I mean, why would you want to build hours anywhere else? Didn't it work out that way for you?????? Whats your problem??

Hey boys and girls, just make sure don't end up in Vegas and wake up married - though you will get a green card and be flying right seat in a jet earning 75k in a couple of years. Hmmmmmm, maybe worth it after all.

Mr Tuck
1st Feb 2001, 01:19
just a short note to everyone who replied ....
THANK YOU indeed info much appreceated.

RRAAMJET
1st Feb 2001, 08:10
Mr Tuck:

I'll try and give you a reasoned reply!
First, my background: UK ppl, ex- RAF, US ATP, ex- UK regional airline, ex-Cathay, now American Airlines. So, some background knowledge of this US/UK thing....

Flying to build hours in the US is going to work out 30% cheaper, probably. If you are at the stage where you are trying to hone your handling skills and lookout, the US is as good a place as any. If you want to practice instrument approaches, there's plenty of them to chose from, and the a/c are usually well equipped. Actually, the weather in Florida can be pretty challenging from Mar. to Nov. If you want to mix it with the big-boys without 200-quid landing fees, there's West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Ft Myers, blah blah.

But at some point, for your own good, you need to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the unique flying of the UK. Bad viz, Matz's, ice, high costs, trying-to-be-helpful-but-too-busy-ATC, etc.

Realistically, your first airline job in UK is going to be for a regional, so knowledge of the UK quirks in a smallish operation is essential.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with hour-building in the US.

And as previously mentioned, the babes will luv' ya'. Go get 'em.....

mail me if you wish ( any of you )