View Full Version : Flying Eye pilots

Busterplane
10th Nov 2002, 12:40
Probably old news but It appears that Cabair has vacancies for 2 pilots flying the GA7 for Capital Radio at Elstree. Anyone know more? Like hours requirement, pay etc.

Bob Fleming
10th Nov 2002, 13:30
where did you hear that exactly?

would be very interested to hear more

thanks

:eek:

Busterplane
10th Nov 2002, 15:51
Heard it from a friend who flew into Elstree the other day. Seems that 2 out of the 4 pilots have resigned and they need people v.fast.

Dont know anything else, but someone must. I presume youll need 700 hrs and a fair few mep for JAR ops. Do I take it Bob that you used to fly "the little blue plane". If so whats the deal there. Is it as "unusual"as other Cabair operations.

Bob Fleming
10th Nov 2002, 16:54
afraid not - i'm very familiar with listening to capital radio and mr kane;s references to the pilot who occasionally gets a mention. don't have the req hours for single pilot ops like that unfortunately.

anyway thanks for the tip.

Busterplane
10th Nov 2002, 17:38
Someone out there must now whats going on for 2 guys to leave at the same time! discension in the ranks at Cabair? Surely not!

Anyway I know someone who would love that job, so anyone know who runs the show?

apple
10th Nov 2002, 21:16
Have spoken to a Mr danny Kane regarding the vacancies
and have been told the entry requirements involve:

An interview with a Mr Chris Tarrant

An appearance in a live show called "who wants to be a millionair"

And a ppl with 63 Hrs

Best of luck:)

Busterplane
11th Nov 2002, 10:55
Just got off the phone to a contact at Elstree, all be it not at Cabair and the story is this.

2 of the 3 Flying eye pilots have resigned on the same day. This means that Cabair have 1 month to train 2 new pilots. Two rumours are they they have either got other jobs (rumour is that its with a Kingair operator) or that they were so unhappy working for Cabair that they just quit.

Dont know what is true but apparently they get just £20 per hour and nothing if they cant fly for whatever reason. Its flying the GA Cougar twin and wait for it.............you have to pay for your own training!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Contact is Cabair Helicopters on 02089534411.

Johnny 7
11th Nov 2002, 15:28
There always used to be a ready supply of standby guys on the AOC who could operate Capital in the event of illness or holiday - don't know whether this is still the case ? Interesting work for a few weeks then the fatigue of the long hours set in & it lost it's appeal ( 6am start , down by 9 then instruct all day & back up with the eye at 16:30 for a couple of hours ) . However , I believe that it's no longer line instructors flying it now .

Oh , and some of the " presenters " have quite interesting personalities at that time of the morning as well - maybe thats why these two left ? ;)

Low-Pass
12th Nov 2002, 08:04
BTW, the minimum requirements include 100hrs P1 Multi so if you were hoping for this to be your big break to get some twin hours, it's back to the drawing board.

eyeinthesky
12th Nov 2002, 10:02
Take it from soemone who knows...

It is a fun job for a while, as you spend a good length of time sitting over the top of London at 1500 ft in VMC, and some people would (and do) pay lots for that. It is a good introduction to single pilot public transport operations, and it certainly sharpens up your hand flying (no autopilot and operating in a 200ft band) and your communication with ATC.

Historically, they have 'insisted' that the pilots who do it have some other form of income (£20 a flying hour is correct, nothing if you don't fly, and you must be there even if it's foggy) and do this as a sideline. The practice of using instructors was stopped some time ago as it all got too complex in balancing the demands and in keeping several instructors up to date in OPC checks etc.

One or two of the presenters do have a bit of a 'character', but that is just part of the job. You don't have to talk to them in the air because they are on their radio and you are on yours (no intercom). Some of them are really nice.

The operation is right on the performance limits of the Cougar, and the decision to go is entirely yours. Bear in mind that there are no approach aids at Elstree (remember Graham Hill...) and that a diversion to Luton is very much a last resort. Balance that against the wish of the presenter to get airborne and that you earn nothing until you do, and the decision can sometimes be a tough one.

You do indeed have to pay for all of your training / initial tests with the exception of line training during broadcast flights. Total cost usually in the region of £1200-1500 and that is deducted from all earnings before you get anything (can take a month or two).

Overall a fun job for a while with quite a lot of responsibility and a relatively high media profile (the job, not the pilot), but it's 95% VFR so you need to keep your instrument skills up to date.

Somewhat intrigued about the sudden departure of two of three. I know one was always looking for a bigger job, but I will have to make a few calls.;)

Busterplane
12th Nov 2002, 18:12
Hi Eyein the sky

Obviously your an ex capital radio pilot so thanks for the info,interesting stuff.

One question if I may, as it is a self employed position can where you able to ofset your training costs against tax and did you get expenses for traveling if you couldnt fly.

I wouls have thought that the CAA would be dead set against a no fly-no pay deal as it could be seen as putting financial pressure on a pilot to fly!

eyeinthesky
12th Nov 2002, 20:39
Buster:

Cabair insist upon you being on the PAYE scheme. The only exception is if you run a Limited Company and that bills them for your time. It is to do with their tax liability if you mess up your self-employed tax: they become liable for it. If you are a Limited Company then that becomes liable for the tax. I don't think that the training is tax deductible, but you need to check with your accountant.

You get NO travelling expenses (you even pay for your uniform!)

Ref your last point: Maybe, but they could argue that that is why they want you to have independent means, then it's more of a hobby than a job!

There are few days when you can't get airborne for at least some of the time, if only to blast around sections of the M25 not below 500ft AGL or to sit in the cloud between BNN and LAM at 2.4 taking a radar service whilst the presenter gets their info via their uplink. (You can't get into the LL Zone unless the vis is 3km and the cloudbase allows you to remain not less than 1000ft above the highest obstacle within a certain distance.) The only concern is how you get back in to Elstree, as you must be VMC to do that. How you achieve that is up to you and best not discussed on this forum, but bear in mind that you can't legally descend below MSA in IMC unless you are on a published approach procedure.

One major benefit: you get your IR renewed for free every year!:cool:

entrail
9th Apr 2004, 14:56
Not to bring an old post back, but a little birdy told me that Cabair have lossed the contract and it is now going to be flown by Stapleford Flight Centre. Can any one confirm it?

TheSilverFox
9th Apr 2004, 22:39
Entrail.

Yes!

Flying Lion
10th Apr 2004, 13:28
Subject to contracts etc word is that the Flying Eye will be out of Stapleford from the 3rd of May.

AIRWAY
10th Apr 2004, 16:06
Ahh,

Great news :} Something new i'll be seeing around stapleford then :ok: