PDA

View Full Version : Palm 515 vs Pocket PC 2002

jetblues
10th Nov 2002, 06:57
I have been looking for a "small" PDA to carry in my shirt pocket. Mates have the Palm 515 however as I have experience with the windows operating system I was hoping to stick with this. Now, I have had a look and can't find any PDA operating the Pocket PC2002 software that is as compact and light as the Palm.

What have you found ? Also looks like there is a heap more software available for the palm system, especially aviation related .

A-V-8R
10th Nov 2002, 10:48
I just switched from a Palme to the Pocket PC, specifically, the Toshiba e740, and I find it to be much better than Palm.

Most of my palm work was not organising; I used it primarily for ebooks - could carry three of them with 8M memory, and taking pictures, which except for the lack of a flash, worked well. (Palm Reader also has a Pocket PC Reader as well.

The e740 beats the Palm Hands Down! (Pun intended)

64K memory, 1 SD digital card (256K in my case), and one CF card.

The CF card slot is holding an FM Radio CF Card from IBIZ. Works well, one less box I have to carry.

Pocket PC's now have streaming media sites, both audio (internet radio) and movies thru Media Player.

If you buy anything, make sure you have WiFi built in. It worked well out of the box in my wireless point at home, and most airports have wifi spots near the First Class Lounges that you can hit to check your email or to see if someones posted a picture of your wife on Voyeurweb yet......

Starbucks sez that all of its 2600 US locations will have WiFi by next year.

Software is no problem.......tons of it out their, but finding hacked versions to try is much more difficult with Pocket PC than with Palm

jetblues
10th Nov 2002, 11:42
Can you tell more about this WiFi thingy. Also how does the pocket pc compare in size, can you carry it in yor pocket ?

A-V-8R
10th Nov 2002, 22:27
Having a PDA with WiFi built it is having the ability to surf the net on the PDA or sync it wirelessly...

Please don't confuse this with the pay internet wireless services like Blackberry or Palm. They are still too slow, at least in the States, but that will change...

WiFi is the basic 802.1a/b wireless nodes like Linksys that many of us who have more than one computer at home use in liu of stringing more cables thru the house walls.

You need a wireless router at the cable end, about 100 bucks here in the States, and wireless cards or boxes, which run about 40-60 bucks at each computer.

But many businesses who have extra bandwith are putting up nodes so their customers can surf while they enjoy the services of the business.

You can try: http://www.shmoo.com/gawd/

for a sample search engine to find open points.

Most airlines have wireless nodes around their first class clubs.

If you know the warchalking symbols, you can also find wireless nodes on the street....

Heliport
11th Nov 2002, 22:35
I've been happy with my Palm, but now need a replacement. Thinking about the Palm 505, but heard good reports about the Compaq iPAQ.

I've seen the iPAQ H3870 64MB discounted to £299, I assume because there's a new model.

Is it still a good buy?
Any disadvantages?

Thanks

The Nr Fairy
12th Nov 2002, 11:32
Avoid the 505 - unless you get one cheap and can cope with the 1st gen colour screen.

The 515 is a better bet if you go for a Palm product.

jetblues
13th Nov 2002, 06:25
The Toshiba e310 appears to be one of the smallest PC2002 PDA's on the market. Has anyone tryed this model ? It appears to have limited expansion capabilities, however "small".