PDA

View Full Version : ATPL at Stapleford

benyhone
28th Jan 2001, 22:12
I am seriously considering the ATPL course at Stapleford and am very interested in any feedback or information in general about Stapleford and what they have to offer.

ChampagneSupernova
29th Jan 2001, 20:34
Sorry I can't give you any advise about Stapleford because I've never been there, but they are JAA Approved I believe so they must be ok.

Above all dont be fooled by the glossy adverts of the American schools, its no cheaper here than home in blighty when you add up the costs of return flights and the damn expensive school accomodation.

I looked into Stapleford before coming to the US and sometimes think I should have gone there instead!

BlueLine
29th Jan 2001, 23:26
Stapleford do not run an ATPL Course. They are approved for CPL and IR Modular Courses.

[This message has been edited by BlueLine (edited 29 January 2001).]

Doc Cameron
30th Jan 2001, 05:01
I recently completed ATPL's at Stapleford. E-mail me if you would like the full 'low-down'!

FatFlyer
30th Jan 2001, 23:43
The course is a modular one, the groundschool is normally done at Guildhall Uni in London. The CPL training is done on warriors and arrows. IR training on an AST sim and Seneca 1. The prices are competitive, especially the sim on wnicn you are taught by Capt Thurston who is in his eighties but knows more about IR training than most.
For the test there is a positioning flight to Cranfield which adds a little to the cost and is a bit of a nuisance if you get a partial and have to go back.
The pass rates seem quite reasonable and the staff friendly.

Flying Spider
30th Jan 2001, 23:52
Doc Cameron,

You weren't by any chance the Bristow's helicopter pilot who was doing his IR training along with a wee Scottish lass? I hear you passed first time well done!

Enjoy fixed wing.

Flying Spider

P.S. You don't know me but I think I know you! :)

G SXTY
31st Jan 2001, 02:35
Can't comment on the ATPL course, but I'm doing my PPL at Stapleford - very happy so far.

Friendly atmosphere, and a very busy piece of airspace. The usual problems with British WX apply, but since I want to fly in the UK, I suspect I'm better off learning the basics here rather than Florida.

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

Lawyerboy
31st Jan 2001, 21:36
I'll second that - I'm not doing my whole PPL at Stapleford but I'm flying circuits there and it is quite a busy little place. Friendly enough, and you do get some good views of Canary Wharf...