PDA

View Full Version : Fly be LGW

london-flyer
9th Nov 2002, 17:02
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have about fly be at LGW, as I have recently applied for a job with them and do not know very mch about the carrier.

Was wondering what the money is like,where do you train, chances of promotion, routes you fly, and night stops, and most importantly, what are the people like.

I have heard nice things from one friend, who says hard work, but people great, money o.k

If you could provide any information I would really be greatful, and who knows might see you up their if I get it!!!

starship
10th Nov 2002, 22:52
london-flyer,

The flybe London Gatwick base is a joy to visit, having some of the nicest, complete professionals you will meet in both the flightdeck and the cabin. The base is 'younger' on average compared to some of the other bases, and it's mainstay year round is the LGW - BHD route; Based aircraft is the BAe 146.

Other routes vary year round, with Summer charter flying down to the med included, whereas in the winter flights to the likes of Dagali/Geilo are a feature. No Air France franchise out of LGW.

Do not mistake it, you will work hard in flybe with some four sector days being divided with extended ground time downroute, and airport standby after an early. The summer brings with it a very busy roster, and you will have to become flexible to change.

The majority of the training is in BHX with only the 'practical' aspects of ditching, fire/smoke and slides normally done in EXT. You will most likely stay at the Birmingham Hilton Metropole during training which is great, although very expensive.

Promotion rate varies on your base, and for LGW I am unsure, but it is offered on course starting date. Hence, if you have ten years flying experience and start on a course after someone with one year, then you will end up flying under them until you are yourself promoted. Then it would just depend on who was rostered as the No1.

All in all, a very nice base at LGW - the people will keep you smiling!

Good Luck,

cheers

starship :cool:

dejvu
11th Nov 2002, 00:44
hey once i was invited for the interview of the airport services controller of FlyBE

the salary was pretty low compares to my job now in hongkong ( same duties but the title is great in FLyBE) it is about 13000 p.a.
i just dont think i can save much money after tax so i didnt go for the interview

but the staff there are pretty nice :) they answered all my questions so that i decided not to get myself a ticket to Exeter for the interview :)

CandyBender
12th Nov 2002, 09:17
Nice to hear that the Mark 2 LGW base sounds as friendly as the Mark 1 version when JEA first got the 146s in 92-93. I was the "Base Hostie" (basically a glorified #1 who put memos in maildrops & did a few check flights). Many of us "originals" are now with BA at LGW on both s/haul & l/haul & we all have fond memories of the LGW-CMF-BHX-CMF-LGW 4 sector ski charters....NOT! But the BHD pax were always fun ("What about yee???") & the crews were great.
If things 10 years ago were anything to go by go for it! It'll be hard work but small bases are always much friendlier; we were 9 crew at LGW 10 years ago & it makes me laugh now that we at BA L/haul LGW consider 800 a small base!!!!
Good luck & enjoy!

thomas_ba
8th Dec 2002, 23:43
Hi!

I have an interview with Flybe. on 16th of December at Gatwick. Been researching them and they seem quite a decent company to work for. Does anyone know what night stops they get and how long they are? Also , anyone got any idea on how many crew they have at LGW? How many they r recruiting for LGW? Is the interview fairly relaxed?

Thanx alot! Thomas ~ Gatwick :):)