View Full Version : The Great Rugby Weekend

OneWorld22
9th Nov 2002, 13:38
What a feast for Rugby lovers!

I'm off to Landsdowne now, so all the best to the boys in green,

GO ON YOU GOOD THING!!!!

MarkD
9th Nov 2002, 18:00
missed the match because of an exam - was at Lansdowne for the dreadful World Cup game - good onya boys!

AerLingus747
9th Nov 2002, 18:05
Its not often you see an Irish team of any sport beating the World Champions - great to see their victory at Lansdowne Rd.

Ireland to go all the way in 2003 - hopefully!

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!

sprocket
10th Nov 2002, 01:57
My congratulations to the Irish.

I missed seeing the game, and now I'm glad for that. ;)

Ex Douglas Driver
10th Nov 2002, 07:24
:( A disasterous weekend for Southern Hemisphere rugby (or a stunning victory for the north?)

England 31 - New Zealand 28
Ireland 18 - Australia 9
France 30 - South Africa 10

It'll make for a good World Cup next year I imagine

Hippy
10th Nov 2002, 08:32
Ahem, maybe not in the same leauge, but it was Wales 58 - Fiji 14 by the way.

ZK-NSJ
10th Nov 2002, 09:04
hmmm, england narrowly beet the nz b team

Gunship
10th Nov 2002, 09:26
Gooood morningggg,

The old body can not stand so much rugby anymore. We had the privelege of seeing all 4 games (2 time delayed) here in West Africa. It might have been the Bok's and Kiwi's " B- Teams" but even so - well done to the Northern Hemisphere, Wales, Ireland - boy oh boy did I have a few beers on the Irish (2300 GMT last night) !

As mentioned before this can only be good for rugby - especially for the next World Cup. Us and the Kiwi's have serious homework to do facing England and the French ... I will stop drinking for this week anyway but next weekend ... another story !:p

coley chaos
10th Nov 2002, 09:35
when will they get 3D pictures on big screen just so that I can hide behind the bar stool when Jona comes towards me!!

Take that you bounder! ( crunch !! ) :eek:

TheKentishFledgling
10th Nov 2002, 10:34
I went to the oub to watch the Irish game, not the English, as a few of my best mates are Irish, and we thought it would be a better game. But then it turns out we should have watched England instead.

Never mind, had a bloody good time drinking Guinness in an Irish Pub last night :D

tKF

Gunship
10th Nov 2002, 10:52
Jona has never scored against the Springboks ! :p

Tolsti
10th Nov 2002, 11:37
Watched England/All Blacks (are we allowed to call them that anymore?) in a pub just off the Champs Elysee. Few in there for the football but packed out for the rugger. Got a ticket to see France next weekend....... after yesterdays game I am really looking forward to it, except that it is @ 20.45 in the evening!

redsnail
10th Nov 2002, 13:27
Well done Ireland. The next game should be a beauty. :D

TheKentishFledgling
10th Nov 2002, 16:38
Just watched the highlights on BBC2 - the England game was better than I'd hoped:)

Wilkinson's try was something else!

tKF

reynoldsno1
10th Nov 2002, 19:26
Can somebody explain why the crowd clapped every time Wilkinson decided to kick for a penalty goal? Very peculiar...

Gunship
10th Nov 2002, 22:31
They warm their hands as they knew it is going to be between the poles ...:p

newswatcher
11th Nov 2002, 10:01
ZK-NSJ,

I don't believe the NZ selectors were daft enough not to pick their "best" team, against a country which has pulled off some top results recently(SA 29-9, Aus 21-15). This team showed they could deliver the goods. The guys played well, but in patches. Good game from Spencer, which justified Mehrtens initial omission, and unlucky to have to leave injured. Also from Holah. Notable that NZ game largely better with Mehrtens on the field, not sure what the solution is there, could one of them drop back into the "threes"? Once again, good thing Lomu was there, even if one of his touchdowns was a bit "iffy".

FlyingForFun
11th Nov 2002, 11:36
Great weekend all round. Congrats to all the northern hemisphere teams for some superb results!

I saw most of the England-NZ match - had to miss the last 25 or 30 minutes to go night-flying though. A good performance by both teams, but neither was totally world-class. England were superb up front, but really seemed to be lacking in the backs. They were good with quick ball, but as soon as it slowed down a little, they had trouble building up the momentum again.

The NZ backs, on the other hand, were superb, quite frequently making something out of nothing and scoring a couple of tries from those situations. But they were really quite weak, by All-Black standards, up front. Certainly if they'd won more ball they'd have walked all over us.

But I don't want to take anything away from a great match from a spectator point of view, and a historic England win - well done lads! :)

FFF
--------------