PDA

View Full Version : Is DXB/UAE worth it?

jockmcstrap
9th Nov 2002, 04:51
I found this on BBC.co.uk. you guys/gals be vigilant!!!

The Foreign Office has issued warnings to British people planning to travel to parts of the Middle East because of the threat of terrorism.
They have been advised to avoid Yemen except on non-essential business, and to be vigilant in Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

The warnings come amid the tightening of measures to tackle the threat of terrorism, and a day after the Home Office issued an alert in error.

It spoke of the danger of terrorist attacks including "dirty" nuclear bombs in the UK.

Retaliation

There have been a number of terrorist attacks in Yemen over recent years.

There have also been rumours that some al-Qaeda members have made the Middle Eastern state their base since the overthrow of the Taleban in Afghanistan.

The Foreign Office warned that there may be a retaliation against Western outlets in Yemen following the killing last week of six suspected al-Qaeda members, including Osama Bin Laden's top lieutenant in the country, Qaed Salim Sinan al-Harethi.

There have been attacks on foreign targets in Yemen in recent years - including a bomb attack on the British Embassy in 2000.

Alert

In 1998, a group of tourists were kidnapped and held hostage by a little-known Islamist group in the Abyan region of Yemen.

Four of them, including three Britons, were killed in a shoot-out when local government forces staged a rescue attempt.

In the Gulf states mentioned, Britons are asked to be particularly alert in places frequented by foreigners, such as hotels, restaurants and shopping malls.

British citizens have also been warned against travel to some areas of South East Asia - Indonesia being one of them, following last month's bomb blast in Bali.

AOG007
9th Nov 2002, 14:26
jockmcstrap

Whats Your Point Caller?

The foreign office website has contained that information for at least the last 8 months. I should know, I checked them often enough whilst working with you.

I don't know about other Brits working abroad, but I feel as safe, if not safer here, than I would in Central London.

As with anywhere in the world, vigilance is essential, but not just for Brits, for all nationalities.

AOG007
:cool:

Blue Boy
9th Nov 2002, 18:04
Got to agree with you on that one, Dave.

(Nice one-liner:rolleyes: )

Never had any problems out here, and certainly feel safer here than what I would at home right now.

If that situation changes, then obviously I'll review things. Right now, I'm off to have a wee night-cap.

BB

Grabber
10th Nov 2002, 11:59
I have just come back from DXB and there were no tensions towards Brits. If you are worried about travelling to Dubai donīt be I found it to be a particularly safe city.

3 Off The Tee
11th Nov 2002, 21:23
Jockstrap,

BB & AOG007 are right.

I can see why the UK Government have issued the warning.

However in my opinion, the UAE, especially OMDB is probably a safer place to be for a brit than anywhere else in the UK right now if the threats of further terroism are to be taken seriously.

However, can't guarantee you are safe from being hit from a ball despatched by my wayward Ping driver from the tee.

That's probably at this moment in time, the only risk anyone including brits have to watch out for here. :p

Cheers 3 Off The Tee :rolleyes:

Fiction
12th Nov 2002, 04:14
Yeh !!! And I have played golf with him, I always stand 10 yards behind the tee !!! Duck....:eek: :eek: :eek: