PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airlines - a bit of a joke!

Kaptin M
8th Nov 2002, 23:52
One of my (Aussie) mates has just returned from Oz, along with a Mexican pilot and his wife, and a Hungarian couple.
They travelled down a couple of weeks ago - KIX-CNS - with QANTAS, and returned with Australian Airlines.

The cabin service was fine. As a matter of fact, he commented that the F/A's were far more friendly than the QF ones on the way down - but that of course is solely the "luck of the draw" - and may also be due to the fact that some of them were ex-AN (and happy just to be back at work).

But what none of them could believe was that there was NO reading material of ANY description provided. No inflight magazine - fair enough I guess, as they probably cost a few dollars each to produce, and weigh quite a bit - but no NEWSPAPERS!!?? :confused:

The food apparently was less than average. A "salad", if a couple of pieces of chopped lettuce leaf and a 2 or 3 bean shoots qualify as such - and a small serving of spaghetti.

This is an INTERNATIONAL flight (Australia to Japan) remember!

Of interest to the pilots, viz a viz the other thread concerning Australian Airlines, was the talk amongst the cabin crew (and they ALWAYS seem to find the "good goss" out first!) about AA's prospects for the future.
The route structure to be expanded, to include Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, and DELHI.
And the fleet to increase to more 767's (we already knew that one :D ) and 747's.

Anyway, all in all, NONE of the 5 who flew with Australian Airlines were in the least impressed, however it seems that as the Cairns Port Authority has increased their charges to a ludicrous level (I believe $4,200 for a B747) quite a few international carriers - JAL and SQ among them - have withdrawn their services, giving Australian something of a monopoly at the moment.

So there we have it, a first hand report of a third class service by the Australia's newest international airline ! :(

betedete
9th Nov 2002, 01:54
Be careful Kaptin M, you might get Timmee very mad with all that negative talk about Qantas...... I mean AA. :D :D :D :D

cabin secure
9th Nov 2002, 09:20
Kaptin M

Delhi?? That's one I haven't heard yet.
Maybe your friends fell asleep during the service as it's quite substantial.
The salad is just a starter and is served with a bread roll. It's followed by a choice of an asian meal or vegetarian pasta. It's then followed by icecream then movie snacks. Prior to arrival there is a 2nd service.
Your friends are very much in the minority. The service to date has been very well received.
The crews are very friendly and the service is good.
Try it and judge for yourself. I guarantee you wont be disappointed.

Buster Hyman
9th Nov 2002, 09:42
Cabin secures comments notwithstanding, I would say this is the new level of service to be expected when plying the Australian carriers these days Kaptin.

The choice between paying top dollar for a first class product and paying peanuts for like service has truly gone.

Welcome to the real world Oz! :(

Kaptin M
9th Nov 2002, 10:43
Sorry, c.s., it was my mistake, as he DID mention the ice cream.
The main "whinge" was the TOTAL absence of reading material on board - most pax would expect to see some inflight mags (eg. Time, Newsweek, etc), however as Australian Airlines is a "low cost" carrier this may be marketing's way of visibly showing that to the public. :rolleyes:

However, no NEWSPAPERS? That really IS taking it a little too far on an international flight isn't it!

On your point, Buster, there is now NO choice (except to fly with another airline) on some routes. AA has replaced QF, and they offer ONLY economy class.

One other comment made, was that the Captain wore a white shirt, and the F/O a blue one - anyone care to comment if this is the norm with AA?

Jungmeister
9th Nov 2002, 12:46
You can get a bit of an idea from their webpage
http://www.australianairlines.com.au/newsroom/2002_09_15_uniform.html

"The uniform of the Flight Crew features a vibrant short sleeved blue shirt and black bomber jacket, both with silver epaulettes, and black overcoat. In line with the more casual style of the uniforms, there are no ties or caps."

Sounds practical for a CS based outfit.:cool:

funbags
9th Nov 2002, 19:38
Kap M - AA pilots wear the blue. QF guys based up there for the short term( ie 4 or 6 weeks ) wear their normal uniform , hence the difference.

betedete
9th Nov 2002, 22:42
"The uniform of the Flight Crew features a vibrant short sleeved blue shirt and black bomber jacket, both with silver epaulettes, and black overcoat. In line with the more casual style of the uniforms, there are no ties or caps."

Wasn't there a thread recently that produced absolute condemnation against VB for there style of uniform. Interesting to see what the Qantas diehards have to say about this.

:eek: :eek:

fartsock
9th Nov 2002, 23:12
As I QF diehard I say "who fu$$kin cares what they wear"

TIMMEEEE
9th Nov 2002, 23:42
Betedete .

Dont go getting your frilly knickers in a knot and taking things personally merely because I had a go at you over the VB EBA (where I merely stated that the pilots deserve alot more money and more days off per month without degrading productivity).
As you feel otherwise Betedete then vote accordingly.

About Australian Airlines Betedete I really dont give the proverbial.
If my company was giving somewhat lacking service and I was aware of it I'd make the appropriate steps and approach management to see the problem is rectified.
As a good employee I believe that is ones duty.

As for their uniform, I really just dont give a toss but the one thing I have noticed is that their uniforms can be mistaken for Australian Customs Officers very easily!

MARARA
10th Nov 2002, 08:24
There will be an inflight magazine called "AUSTRALIAN AIRLINES", Very original :rolleyes:.

I heard it would be released when the other routes start

B767MAD
10th Nov 2002, 09:01
It doesnt matter when its on the floor :D :D

Anti Skid On
11th Nov 2002, 06:01
See they haven't got internet booking - thought that was a pre-requisite item on the low cost ops shopping list?

Flight Detent
11th Nov 2002, 10:39
VERY interesting about the possible introduction of B747s - hopefully they will be Classics!

Cheers

Flying Spaniard
12th Nov 2002, 04:15
Anti Skid On,
There are more budget airlines which dont offer online booking (Dutchbird as an example www.dutchbird.nl)

slim
13th Nov 2002, 03:26
Rumour has it the 747's will be QF Classics, chartered by Australian Airlines for specific flights and crewed by QF crews. They won't be operated by AA crews or appear on the AA AOC. Remember it's only a rumour!

Theo Racle
13th Nov 2002, 03:46
Flying Spaniard - Dutchbird only do charters not rpt - they may be cheap but they're not a "budget airline" as understood down-under.

Flying Spaniard
13th Nov 2002, 04:15
Well when i worked as a travel consultant in NL i use to sell cheapfares for dutchbird apart from the seats+accomodation packets sold to the travel agent and i could also just book them in Galileo.
doesnt it make DBR a budget airline then???
forgive me if i am wrong.

Kaptin M
14th Nov 2002, 21:21
And NO (QF) Frequent Flyer points credits.
He is :mad: about that, because he (and the others) had deliberately booked QF but was not made aware that his return flight wouldn't qualify for FF points.

Apparently an FF member, is able to use his points to "buy" a flight with Australian, however there are no credits given when flying with them.

A little rude, I reckon, as Australian have REPLACED QANTAS on the sectors they fly, not leaving the punters a choice - except of course to use a foreign carrier.

Is this an indication that QANTAS are finding their Frequent Flyer programme too expensive?