PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Renewals and colour perception

blackknight
8th Nov 2002, 18:47
I have had a class 1 medical now for 2 years and recently had it revalidated in Spain.. during the examination the person doing the examination pulls out the Ishihara book and starts asking me to read off the numbers on the pages.. During my Initial class 1 at Gatwick, I struggled with this and ended up doing the Holmes-Wright Lantern test which i passed no problem and thankfully was issued with a new class 1 medical.. I have had it revalidated by an AME in the Uk but they didn't conduct a colour perception test, however the woman in spain was sort of helping me to read the colours by asking me can you see '8' or '5' etc... and informed me if i couldn't see them i would fail the renewal, is this the case that you can fail a revalidation based on colour perception....

gijoe
8th Nov 2002, 19:23
No. The HW in a JAA approved lantern test and you should therefore not have to do it again once yu have passed it.

Go and show the spanish lady the JAA med regs !

G

mrwassen
7th Dec 2002, 05:47
GiJoe,

My son just passed his 1st class medical but struggled a bit with the Ishihara and took a lantern test.

In your message, it sounds like it is an established practice that once a color vision test has been passed, no further tests of color vision will be required at renewals etc.

This would be a great comfort for my son, who is afraid that he could invest a big chunk of time and money in a career that could be taken away from him by a cranky AME

Could you provide a little more info on your sources of info?

Thanks in advance,

dennis

ATPMBA
13th Dec 2002, 20:55
For several years in the U.S. I was using the same doctor for my medicals and he only checked for color blindness on my first visit. He said he did not need to do the color blindness test after the first medical because this condition is hereditary. He retired and I went to a new doctor and got a new test.