View Full Version : GA diversions to MOD airfields

EESDL
8th Nov 2002, 12:59
Trying to tie-down where I read that the MOD finally agreed to waiver landing fees for GA ac that divert into MOD airfields due to an emergency situation.
Anyone able to expand?
Not you SS, you're meant to be on a diet:-)

Molesworth Hold
8th Nov 2002, 13:33
After a trail period it is now policy to wave landing fees for GA aircraft in emergency. I hope this won’t be abused, as anything to do with the recovery of landing fees is a real bag of slugs.

consumptive whippet
8th Nov 2002, 14:39
Nothing is simple.

JSP 360 Chap 8 Para 8.4 states, "Landing fees for GA aircraft up to 3 metric tonnes, not for reward or hire, will be waived at RAF Airfields in a genuine emergency. Parking fees will also be waived for a reasonable time to facilitate repairs".

So don't aim for a pongo or fish-head one.

EESDL
9th Nov 2002, 10:48
Thanks for that.
Problem I now have is trying to explain to EG## OC Ops what constitutes an emergency. He doesn't seem to understand that if an ac runs out of fuel it would be deemed an emergency!!
Had loads of fuel to start with but good old EG## used the ATC 'rolling' hold manouvre to use it all up. Even when I explained my predicament to them over the R/T, they put me in another hold whilst they discussed it!
Declared fuel priority, guess what...... another hold!! Shorter duration this time, whilst they finally cleared a biz jet off their Westerly rw (another clue).
Thankful for the tarmac (although not mandatory) but would have bugged out sooner, to a place where they do RRRF, had they not underestimated the delay by such a huge margin.
Reckon the "short" hold turned into a total of over 30 mins.

Just guessing that OC Ops is of the Ops Sup branch as, during a recent telephone conversation, he displayed a complete lack of understanding of fuel/MAUW/performance considerations and the fact that one can't always carry as much fuel as Alice in Wonderland would like! If he is aircrew then he displayed a woeful lack of appreciation.......perhaps the bean counters have got to him. He did slip that he only has so many movements allowed a day and he has to maximize the return!!! Great flt safety aspect. I feel the chap concerned has lost the big picture. Asked him if we were on the same side?
Should have guessed his attitude earlier when, despite numerous reminders to the contrary, he kept referring to my ac as a 'Commercial Helicopter'.
The sad thing is, I'm also in the RAF.......although he stated, with glee I'd imagine, that that JSP regulation doesn't apply if you do not actually own the ac concerned!!

Another nail in the coffin for Aviation Excellance in the RAF.

StopStart
9th Nov 2002, 18:01
I take it EG## was your destination on this epic mission?
So then you didn't divert......

diet shmiet

EESDL
11th Nov 2002, 18:40
SS
EG** was my destination, therefore, if I had to go to EG## then it would be a diversion:-)
Would you plan to go to EG## if you had a choice?
Received a telephone call from what sounded like a very nice Fg Off (female, steady).....sense has been seen, fee has been waivered.