PDA

View Full Version : Gyro's

Toebrake
8th Nov 2002, 09:43
Hi Guys,

I posted this in Private flying and got some interesting answers....

Just wondering what you guys thought?

ello all,

I have a lapsed CAA PPL (A) - Not flown anything for two years.

When I get some more cash I am reluctant to burn it getting back into expensive club hire once a month.

I have checked the web and find myself drawn to Gyro's.

Can an expert (or enthusiast) tell me what would be needed for a conversion? How much a second hand two seater would cost?
What are the realistic touring chances within the UK (Fuel / Speed) etc and of course safety!

They look like fantastic fun!

I am not too far away from Roger Savage in Carlise!

How long could I leave my PPL(A) unused before I need to go through the whole thing again?

Any help and tales most welcome .

;)

ATPMBA
8th Nov 2002, 11:47
Check out a prior posting about accidents per aircraft type. Stick to helicopters or airplanes.

twistair
10th Nov 2002, 11:56
>Check out a prior posting about accidents per aircraft type. Stick to helicopters or airplanes.

This sentence isn't complete enough to be true. The more complete should be: "Check out a prior posting about accidents per aircraft type. Most of them in case of light aircraft were due to insufficient training. If you didn't get proper training - no matter if you stick to helicopters or airplanes. The result will be the same."

You'll fins a lot of accidents with fixed wings and helicopters also due to improper kit assembling. Gyros are less expensive - yes, but I can second that the proper built gyro is more safe than any fixed wing or helicopter - I've already have some chances to check this :D

Cheers,

Alex

Fortyodd
10th Nov 2002, 13:20
For those interested in the subject of Gyros and what they are capable of, a visit to the Global Eagle website would be worthwhile. WO2 Barry Jones from the Army Air Corps is taking one around the world in 2003.

www.globaleagle.co.uk

Toebrake
11th Nov 2002, 08:48
Thanks Guys,

So which is the Safest 2 seat Gyro (assuming proper and through training)?

and a realistic UK Tourer?

RobertWittmann
11th Nov 2002, 12:22
Best gyro I've seen (and flown) so far was a Magni Gyro.
Only Problem there is the engine (2stroke, 100hp).

Here in Germany is a new set of regulations set up for gyros.
First step are Microlight-Gyros (Ultraleicht - Tragschrauber).

They made inensive testing at Trier-Föhren.

First thing they replaced there was the engine by a Rotax 914.
That is IMHO not the optimum, but a lot better than any twostroke with all its thermal problems.

With kind regards,
Robert

Toebrake
11th Nov 2002, 12:49
Thanks Robert,

I know The Guy Near to me Roger Savage has a Magni with a Rotax.

Does anyone know the PFA / CAA situation with Magni Gyro's in the UK?

PPRUNE FAN#1
11th Nov 2002, 15:17
Gyros. Hmm.

On one hand, the undriven rotor turns very slowly, so the stresses on the various bearings up there are low. On the other hand, it is a two-blade, teetering system with the inherent warnings, hazards and all that.:eek:

The two-place Canadian RAF2000 is about as good as a gyro gets (with a proper horizontal stabilizer installed), although there is no baggage room and so if you want to carry anything, any "touring" must be done solo. The Subaru engine conversion works extremely well IMHO, and has proven to be durable and reliable. I've seen kits with cabin heaters, and even one with the automotive air conditioning system installed!:cool: (A/C not really necessary over here though, but a heater/demister would be nice.)

Some blokes (read: non-gyro pilots) perceive gyros to be unsafe for a number of reasons. Superficially, they do not offer any protection in a crash. Also, they "seem" to crash a lot. Owners use gyros differently than they would a C-172. Gyros are toys, like gliders and ultralites, meant for messing about. Whilst gliders mess about up high, gyros do their thing down low. And when you mess about down low enough, you'll sooner or later hit that lone tree in the big empty field.

It is true about training. You must be properly trained. There are some aspects of the way gyros fly that differ from helicopters, and your rotorcraft instincts can screw you up. My transition was not the cakewalk I thought it would be. Luckily my instructor was a patient and understanding chap. As American newsman Harry Reasoner might say, "The thing is, gyrocopters are different."

Bottom line: If you get and build a good kit (and maintain it well), and are properly trained to fly it, and can resist the urge to hot-dog or show your arse, gyro flying can be as safe as any other type. And maybe even more fun!:D I say go for it!

RobertWittmann
11th Nov 2002, 16:26
PPRUNE FAN#1 wrote:

[....] "The thing is, gyrocopters are different."

>Bottom line: If you get and build a good kit (and maintain it
>well), and are properly trained to fly it, and can resist the urge
>to hot-dog or show your arse, gyro flying can be as safe as any
>other type. And maybe even more fun! I say go for it!

Very good points!

Did I mention that flying _rotorcraft_ makes a lot FUN?

:D

Kind regards,
Robert

Toebrake
12th Nov 2002, 08:37
Thanks again guys,

all very useful and informative stuff.

twistair
12th Nov 2002, 10:53
As for what gyro is the best...

It's agreed that the safest gyro for low-time pilot is high-profile gyros like "Dominator" (in terms of stability and agility). Otherwise Domins have very unusual shape and they are also too high to suit some garages. Magni is obviously well-designed but many of us don't like it's high price.
Other proven designs may be SportCopter gyros, new AirCommands, MadMax etc. South-African Sycamore has good responses from owners as well though it seems to be overpriced too. I believe the choice depends much on what kind of flying you wish to use your gyro for as well as what amount of money you plan to spent on it.
Since you're in UK it's useful to contact BRA (British Rotorcraft Assosiation) and to simply spent some time visiting any rotorcraft fly-in to see the things real and to try some gyros.