PDA

View Full Version : can pilots fast during ramadan?

richie-rich
7th Nov 2002, 16:17
can they ??

thanx
rr

Hew Jampton
7th Nov 2002, 16:37
I think travellers are exempt.

Flat-Spot
7th Nov 2002, 16:51
Our Muslim pilots do! Nothing in the rules to say they can't.

F-S

BlueEagle
7th Nov 2002, 21:34
I used to work for a Middle Eastern carrier for a number of years and this question came up frequently. Spoke to moderate, devout Muslims and they said that, as working pilots, they could eat during the normal fasting period if they were flying but were expected to make up for any days lost by fasting after Ramadan, if necessary.
Most sensible ones did not fast, there were always a few who did and on a twelve hour day, West bound, during European summer time they had to be watched, particularly if we were on minimum rest.

richie-rich
8th Nov 2002, 07:52
howdy guys?
thanx for the replies.....

sad but true, my flight school restricts cadets from flying who are on fast. like i was supposed to do 2 flight today and was asked to defer my schedule to tomorrow .....

:(

is that justified?

cheers.....
richie-rich

Flat-Spot
8th Nov 2002, 16:59
Richie,
In my opinion, thats totally unjustified!
F-S

SAS-A321
10th Nov 2002, 13:44
I have nothing against muslims but.......

If the pilots fast during a long flight I think that they are jeopordising the flight safety.......:(

mutt
11th Nov 2002, 02:50
There is an exemption if you are travelling, therefore pilots are not required to fast during Ramadan, however they are expected to do make up the lost days afterwards.

Richie-Rich

Fasting affects people to varying degrees, all you have to do is look at drivers who are fasting as sunset approches. If you are a student pilot i would have no problems allowing you to fly in the morning, but not later in the day............

SAS-A321,

If the pilots fast during a long flight I think that they are jeopordising the flight safety.......

Would you care to expand on this statement?

Mutt.

BlueEagle
11th Nov 2002, 10:58
Way back in the days when B52s did twenty four hour airborne patrols the USAF did a study of crew and produced a fat paper on their results.

They studied pre, in and post flight rest, eating habits and suggestions and a few other things. One of their findings was that, to maintain adequate blood sugar levels, one should have a high carbohydrate snack every thirty to sixty minutes!

(They also discovered that by keeping the cockpit dome lights on during most of the cruise it was possible to reduce fatigue by up to 70% - but that is a different subject!).

doubleu-anker
11th Nov 2002, 17:34
Yes they can fast and plenty of pilots are doing it. What is more disturbing some pilots are no even drinking water during the daylight hours of Ramadan.

This is the very reason I will not strap myself to the seat of an A/C operated by an Islamic state, during Ramadan.:(

BaByJet
10th Nov 2003, 13:13
I agree,
flying with a fasting cockpit is NOT safe. I have seen the result of fasting enough times to know that fasting does affect the pilots judgement and performance in a negative way.

In my previous airline there was no restrictions for fasting pilots. About 90 % of the muslim pilots did fast. The performance AND safety definitly suffered, no question about that.

Only a few of the muslim pilots had the guts and right attitude to see that the safety of our passengers were more important than their own fasting.

BBJ

Sensible
10th Nov 2003, 14:30
I’m not a Muslim but from my personal experience, concentration becomes a big issue after only about 6 or seven hours if I haven’t eaten something to maintain my blood sugar levels. I certainly wouldn’t drive a car let alone fly unless I had at least a sugar drink or chocky bar to consume. I understand that eating a low meat diet reduces the time when low blood sugar takes its toll. I don’t eat red meat at all so that may be a factor. I’m not sure about a Muslim diet so can’t comment.

Gerund
12th Nov 2003, 11:05
Blood sugar levels are not regulated by eating!

If you don't eat for 12 hours, blood sugar levels should remain in the normal range of 70 mg/dl to 110 mg/dl.

Blood sugar levels are regulated by insulin and glucagon. Blood sugar levels rise - the body produces insulin and blood sugar levels fall, blood sugar levels fall - the body produces glucagon and blood sugar levels rise.

If you eat the night before, blood sugar levels the following day should remain in the normal band and hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) should not be a problem.

What CAN be a problem for some people is a feeling of fatigue mid morning WHEN they have eaten breakfast. This is due to a transitory hypoglycaemia when the insulin production produces a low blood sugar effect before switching off . This mid morning fatigue can be avoided by changing one's eating habits to either avoid, or substantially reduce, breakfast.

The old adage of breakfast is the most important meal of the day is an old wive's tale.

I suggest that a more important reason for one not to fly during Ramadan is that one cannot drink in the fasting period. Dehydration can have a devastating effect on mental ability.

kev_laline
13th Nov 2003, 08:12
So Gerund, where did you get all of that info?

I can see you've never spent a long day in the cockpit.

For those pilots that want to fast, keep yourselves and your aircraft well away from the rest of us real pilots!

The African Dude
13th Nov 2003, 08:56
I would be more concerned about the lack of fluid intake affecting concentration and spatial awareness... ? The effect is more significant than lack of food isn't it?:zzz:

Is it?!

Andy

happydriver
13th Nov 2003, 09:55
As a muslim driver I feel I should share my point of view on this topic.The act of fasting itself can be broken into two categories ie the spiritual act and of course the physical demands. In support of all the scientific facts put forward in regards to blood sugar levels, dehydration etc etc I must re-iterate that the Islamic Faith states that those muslims who are travelling (in our case flying) may break their fast during their travels and repay it (by fasting) on another day.Now faith is a funny thing and for most muslims its more so a test of mind over matter.Something science itself supports that when we are so determined it can overcome the low blood sugar levels and dehydration etc etc....I am not implying that all muslim pilots have that certain amount of determination I am just trying to open you to that possibility that most of us do and hope that our non muslim collegues be a little more understanding of those who have decided to fast while flying.When I board an airplane believe that whoever is sitting up in the cockpit is a responsible professional who knows his/her limitations and makes the right decisions with flight safety as his/her number one goal......not just muslim pilots who are fasting but also to all of us who share the same sky.

Gerund
13th Nov 2003, 11:37
kev_laline

I thought about not replying to your post, but I decided it needs a reply.

I have a degree in Physiology and Pharmacology and fly five long days a week in a Muslim country.

I think that kind of qualifies me to make a comment on the subject!

My own opinion is that fasting, as far as food is concerned, is not a problem - it is the abstinence from everything 'by mouth' that can be a problem - and in particular, abstinence from drinking between sunrise and sunset. Feeling hungry is not a danger!

BaByJet
13th Nov 2003, 20:29
Happy driver.

Thanks for your input.

"When I board an airplane believe that whoever is sitting up in the cockpit is a responsible professional who knows his/her limitations and makes the right decisions with flight safety as his/her number one goal".

That is exactly the problem. A lot of muslim pilots do not know their limitations (because they are fasting) and therefor they interfere with the safety.

I have seen several safety related situations with fasting colleages. They are simply not "there" mentally.

Then put 2 fasting pilots on a long day flight....... UHH.
No.

bbj

kev_laline
15th Nov 2003, 08:29
Gerund

Thanks for the reply - I did ask.

I wrongly assumed you had never spent a long day in the cockpit.

I do not agree that fasting as far as food is concerned is not a problem.

A well rested pilot who has consumed an adequate amount of both food & water is going to perform a hell of a lot better than someone who takes off on an empty stomach and tries to get through a 10 hour day on a couple of litres of water, admittedly, some water being better than none.

The topic being can pilots fast during ramadan, well I guess they can.

As BabyJet points out, at the expense of performance & safety.