PDA

View Full Version : Judge in DVT case steps down

singaporegirl
7th Nov 2002, 15:22
Thu 07 Nov 2002

DVT case halted as judge owns up to BA stake
The High Court case launched by victims of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and their families against 27 airlines including British Airways was adjourned yesterday when the judge admitted he owned BA shares.
Mr Justice Nelson told the court he had read newspaper coverage of BA’s Q2 results on Tuesday lunchtime and ‘it then occurred to me, regrettably for the first time since taking on this case, that I had some shares’ in the airline.
After checking his portfolio later, the judge found he had a holding of 1,450 BA shares, which he sold on Wednesday morning.
He said: ‘For my part, the now former holding of shares in one of 27 carriers is absolutely incapable of affecting my decision one way or the other. But the sensitivity of holding such shares – even a small number – is in my view such that the parties must be given the opportunity to consider whether they wish me to continue.’
The wasted day in court is estimated to have cost more than £100,000 in legal fees and taxpayers’ money. The case will now be heard on 18 November.

nojacketsrequired
8th Nov 2002, 15:48
What I would like to know is when are millions of people going to start claims against the bus companies after being cramped up for hours or worse still companies who make T.V's and people say I got DVT from watching the television for six hours.

If these people got of their ar*e's and moved they would'nt get DVT.
Many airlines have had exercise pages in their inflight mags for years encouraging people to keep limbs moving.NW had crew standing op doing excercises for passengers to follow.

However we live in a society that when anything goes wrong
we don't look at ourselves we point the finger at someone or something else and try and screw them for a few million!!!!.

I for one don't think the airlines can cope with large law suits
that may come from this and many more airline jobs will go.

After all it has to be down to an individual to use their common
sense,you eat at burger outlet you get fat and unhealthy and if you choose to sit in a seat for 8 hours watching seatback video
you'll get circulation problems!!!!.

NJR.