PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ tells Qantas: get on with it

Wirraway
7th Nov 2002, 14:40
Fri "Sydney Morning Herald" 8/11/02

Air NZ tells Qantas: get on with it
November 8 2002

Air New Zealand chief executive Ralph Norris says alliance talks with rival Qantas have dragged on too long and he wants the matter resolved before the end of December.

In an interview in Los Angeles yesterday, Mr Norris also revealed Air NZ had performed well in October, putting the airline on track for a "very strong" second quarter financial result.

"This quarter is shaping up to be a very strong quarter," Mr Norris said. "Passenger traffic out of Japan, compared to the same quarter last year, will be up 85 per cent."

The potentially strong second quarter follows what he described as the strongest "first quarter ever in the history of the company".

This kept Air NZ in line with its previously forecast pre-tax, pre-abnormal full-year profit of $NZ200 million ($176 million), he said.

Also helping was the success of its new no-frills airline, Air NZ Express, launched last month, with bookings up 28 per cent for November.

On the hot issue of alliance talks with Qantas, Mr Norris said:

"Both of us can't continue to sit on our hands.

"We know what the issues are, we have to resolve those issues between us quickly because we have been in discussions now for several months."

Mr Norris did not reveal any specific details, although he said Air NZ would not be handing control to Qantas.

"If Qantas thinks it will come in and dominate Air NZ well, it's not going to happen.

"So you're not going to see [Qantas] red tails on any of our planes."

AAP

TIMMEEEE
7th Nov 2002, 23:09
Ah, nothing like the sound of a desperate man who is in absolutely no position to bargain beating his scrawny chest.

He whinges to shareholders and the media about QF obtaining a minority share then demands that the deal be settled by a certain date!

Just be very careful Mr Norris, you may just get exactly what you wish for!

Boeing Belly
7th Nov 2002, 23:31
It seems to me that Dixon is just squeezing their balls. He's toying with the cheeky so and so's. How dare they demand anything!!! Let them sink I say.

Buster Hyman
8th Nov 2002, 01:00
alliance talks with rival Qantas have dragged on too long

Gee, when the boots on the other foot, they don't like it much do they! Perhaps the ANZ board aren't quite as different to the old one, as we were led to believe?:rolleyes:

Sharfted Groundhog
8th Nov 2002, 01:28
Boeing Belly; did you ever stop to think that possibly it could be a case of 'media slanting' on the article????

Do you think that a man who is in desparate need of money - and one would presume a reasonable intellegent man (one would hope!) would make 'demands' on the company thinking about sinking money into it? From what I understand, it's only 25% anyway!

Do you guys believe everything you read? :rolleyes:

Boeing Belly
8th Nov 2002, 01:44
Mate, I've come to learn ( the hard way) that when it comes to AirNZ ANYTHING, no matter how outlandish, is possible!!!!!

topend3
8th Nov 2002, 08:53
ah...i detect a rather large chip on your shoulder boeing belly, take off the eye patch mate!!!:p

Boeing Belly
8th Nov 2002, 10:07
I think you mean chep,don't you Sheepboy?

Girt_bar
8th Nov 2002, 10:55
Congratulations on a truly inspiring comeback BB :rolleyes: :rolleyes: