PDA

View Full Version : BA essay topic

28th Jan 2001, 19:00
Anyone out there know what BA's favourite topic for the selection process essay is?

BAcrew
31st Jan 2001, 00:19
Good question. Last year it was something about writing an essay for Highlife magazine about the things a pilot could do to improve profitability (focussing on customer service etc.)
Also wondering if anyone has any advice about the group exercise, and what they make you do. (Are they still using knex, for example?) Thanks very much

Visual
31st Jan 2001, 03:17
....on my group exercise we had to mekae something out of a plastic kit (Knex???), I don't think how good it is matters just how you interrelate as a team player with the others (not and honerous leader!!!!)

I was speaking to a pilot who interviews potential cadets...he said that the group exercise is what decides whether you've got the job or not.

Pontius
31st Jan 2001, 22:56
Visual,

Para 1: Way out of date. The group exercises are 'paper' based and no longer involve building anything. Written scenarios...group comes up with solution.

Para 2: Either (a)he never said that at all, because it's complete Bo**ocks or (b)he had nothing to do with recruitment at all.

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!

Visual
1st Feb 2001, 04:07
Pontius

Okay so the first para may have been out of date...but in essence that's what you need

but I can ASSURE you what you have said about para 2 is completely wrong.

a) He does do CEP interviews
b) He did say that

Sorry.

flying Dr
2nd Feb 2001, 08:18
I attended last week-question was on the article for high life- split into

a) how a pilot can save the airline money
b) how his behaviou can improve customer service, the image of the airline
c) Your motivation to be a pilot
d) What the companys success means to you

The group exercise was the one, discussed before on pprune about being on a plane, the crew who are incapactated managing to draw a map before passing out showing where you are and where you are going. each of you have different info on the back of the card to help you, but it doesnt tell you that-you do work it out quite quickly however. it last 35mins, the first 5 are spent reading the info and at the end someone has to read out the route you intend to take-someone has to be timekeeper and we decided to draw only one map and elected one person to do so. Being the scribe means you are being seen to be involved in all decisions even if you arent actually contributing.

If it helps, the 1st officer I spoke to on the way down said that he had spoken to an interviewing captain when he was on the line. He said that the main thing they are looking for in the interview is someone they can get along with and would want to spend three hours on the flight deck with.

Hope this helps

femaleflyer
2nd Feb 2001, 13:19
Pontius,
You are part of the selection team at Cranebank, aren't you? You seem to be assured of a lot of things that outsiders would only be able to guess at. You state that your "friends" know the real score, but my guess is that YOU are one of the interviewers/selection panel. My presumption is not just from this thread, but from many others in the past. Am I right?

jollygreengiant
2nd Feb 2001, 13:34
femaleflyer

Do you really think Pontius will admit to being part of the Cranebank selection team? He does seem to know a lot though.

BAB2B
2nd Feb 2001, 14:22
Flying Dr, drop me an email, I think I know your practice!

femaleflyer
2nd Feb 2001, 15:36
Jollygreengiant: No, he won't admit it because BA are not overly fond of this website. But Pontius posts answers with such authority that my only guess is that he is a part of recruitment. Either that or he is a big bull****ter...

Pontius
2nd Feb 2001, 22:14
:) :) :)

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!