PDA

View Full Version : Where to fly?

Gunner B12
7th Nov 2002, 03:38
Hi

I've just moved to the Gold Coast and have a shiny new PPL. I'm looking for recommendations and opinions on where it would be best to fly, Archerfield or Coolangatta? also whether anyone can recommend a school, club or even an individual with a good reputation and rates. I currently fly C172s but may consider switching to something else (again recommendations welcomed).

Thanks in advance

GB12

Torres
7th Nov 2002, 05:55
Gunner. I'd start by looking at the airport fees at the two airports you mention. You may well find your 100 bucks worth of bang degenerates to a quick five minutes circuit after deducting landing fees.........

Hugh Jarse
7th Nov 2002, 07:31
What about Southport? Or Redcliffe? Do those 2 still exist?

Alternatively, there used to be an airport at Murwillumbah that had a flying school.

Now I'm showing my age......:o

OZBUSDRIVER
7th Nov 2002, 08:10
Alternatively, try Caboolture (no landing fees). Grass strips, has an aeroclub as well as a couple flying schools as well as a museum.

Redcliffe (no landing fees) has a pretty good aeroclub as well as a couple of flying schools. YRED is pretty handy to BN and is just outside the CTR.

Also there is a small strip at Jacobs Well (within cooee of the JCW aid) mainly ultralights. Do not know if any are for hire.

Also used to be an airfield at the surfers paradise raceway. Maybe worth a look to see if a club has moved in.

Have fun:D

Torres
8th Nov 2002, 19:25
OZBUSDRIVER. Driving along the Nerang - Southport road the other day and noticed the airport has gone. So has the speedway....... Bulldozed flat. Looks like a new housing development may happen there.

I think the Runaway Bay private airstrip still exists.

Does Scotty still run the bar at Caboolture Aero Club? Seems a bit like putting Dracula in charge of the Blood Bank........!!!

OZBUSDRIVER
9th Nov 2002, 00:55
Sorry Torres cannot help with info on Scotty's whereabouts now. I have met the man and yes "Dracula in charge of the bloodbank" is a fair description of him:D Shame to see Surfers finally gone. Had a lot of fun there both on the dragstrip and the airfield launching banners (The old way:eek: )

Gunner B12
9th Nov 2002, 23:34
Torres

I'm told the landing fees for both are $16-$17 which is pretty much in line with what I used to pay at Jandakot.

I intend to check out the smaller strips but I was waiting until the 28th before going on a shopping trip as thats when all the new charts come into play and I didn't see any point in buying ones that would have to be replaced in a couple of weeks.

I've heard that there is a small club in the southport area but I was told that the membership was astronomical and if you aren't the landing fees are astronomical. One way of keeping us poor relations out I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies though and please keep them coming.
:) :) :)