PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia To Los Angeles

misterbonkers
6th Nov 2002, 19:48
Hey guys!

Just after a little help.

Ive never been to the States before and have the chance to fly a helicopter from somewhere West Virginia across to Los Angeles next summer.

Have any of you done something like this before? It's roughly 1800nm great circle track.

I'm after some tips, places that are good to visit etc.

Any help much appreciated! Email me or leave stuff on here!

Cheers.

Notar fan
6th Nov 2002, 23:10
Try www.airnav.com .It helps you plan the flight around your fuelstops.

Nick Lappos
7th Nov 2002, 02:58
I've flown that trip perhaps a dozen times in helicopters. It is a great adventure, there are several tips, but most of the journey is straightforward.

The passage through the west can get mighty boring if you just clear westward through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. A passage west from WV through the Ohio River valley, then St. Louis, then through to Kansas to Colorado, then southwest along the foothills of the Rockies through Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Durango, CO then Mesa Verde National Park, then Glen Canyon, then the Grand Canyon. Cut down to Meteor Crater, then jump the high passes near Needles California into LA.

Bring a good camera, a pocket full of loot for the great barbecue joints and mexican restaurants, and you are all set!

misterbonkers
7th Nov 2002, 14:24
Cheers guys!

Buitenzorg
7th Nov 2002, 17:55
Concur with Nick about the more interesting routing, just two tips here:

1. If you want to fly over the Grand Canyon, the whole area is now a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA); make sure you get the latest copy of the Grand Canyon sectional chart. Most corridors through the SFRA require you to be at 10,500 ft MSL minimum. On the west side, near Las Vegas, you can be lower.

2. Turbulence can be pretty nasty here due to high winds in late spring and early summer. To avoid the worst, stop for fuel, an extended lunch and a siesta before noon, and get going again about four. Local operators can give you tips on how to avoid the worst areas.

misterbonkers
7th Nov 2002, 20:56
10500ft!!!!!

Im getting a nosebleed just thinking about it!

Aren't helicopters allowed to go any lower?

I shall checkout the airspace!

cheers

B Sousa
8th Nov 2002, 11:38
I think Nick failed to mention that as one of those fancy manufacturer Pilots he didnt fly some old piece of junk. It probably had AC, new smellin Leather and so much spending money in his pocket that Igor would have been embarrassed.....ha ha
Anyway there are a number of ways to do it, and the first is like your doing plan ahead. lots of folks here to give you pointers on what to see and where to stay. I just mentioned on another thread that I ferried a B206L3 down here to the caribbean from Tucson , Az a couple weeks ago. I would have like to have the luxury of time but it was business and no time to sight see.
Someone above mentioned the Grand Canyon and they are correct, if you go that way there is a lot of traffic and a lot of rules, besides being a place to get your butt kicked in Turbulence. Contact some of the tour operators in both Grand Canyon east and Las Vegas. Most Chief Pilots can give good advice or talk to tha FAA in those areas, they make the rules and can tell you what you face.
My email is good if your interested in some nice stops, but as I said your planning ahead will really be helpful for a fun and safe trip.

Bronx
28th Oct 2003, 21:17
misterbonkers

Did you ever do your trip?