PDA

View Full Version : OATS Prices

Murray_NN
28th Jan 2001, 01:06
With introduction of a new Ab-Initio course, OATS has taken the decision to decrease (yes DECREASE)its prices at the same time.
Its now 48,500 for full Integrated course.
Before obviously it was 53,800.
BUT this new price DOES NOT INCLUDE the following anymore!

-Examination fees
-License Issue fee
-Medical renewal
All in all the above works out to be a total of around 1700 pounds.

After all, I'm not complaining as the new course is structured to prepare you better for a job at the end. Also they have included extra ground-school boring but relevant hours.

Wee Weasley Welshman
28th Jan 2001, 01:41
What about accomodation and board? A MAJOR expense over 13 months.

Good news on the face of it though.

Murray_NN
28th Jan 2001, 02:56
Yes WWW you are correct.
On top of that price you will have to add another 6-8 thousand pounds for your accomodation and food !

BEagle
28th Jan 2001, 03:11
To survive against JAA courses offered elsewhere, this was OATS' only option. Reduce the profit margin, hope for increased demand and acceptable revenue.

Have to wonder why anyone would bother with a tatty little mud and rubble aerodrome in cold, wet England when the alternatives of places like Jerez de la Frontera are available.

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 27 January 2001).]

Murray_NN
28th Jan 2001, 03:21
BEagle,
One minor difference is that OATS can reccomend you to an airline if you pass all your exams first time. You may get an interview and who knows a job at the end too. But still, it is way too much money for the majority of the wannabes here.

I would consider Jerez if they offered a scheme similar to this.

socrates
28th Jan 2001, 03:39
OATS may recommend you if you pass all first time with an average of 90% plus, but that alos includes all flight tests and ground school tests, not just the CAA/JAA exams.

Do NOT believe the hype/spin they give; most of it is sales pitch. I have friend who is still waiting for a 'guaranteed' interview 18 months on.

According to their sales waffle 80% get jobs within 3 months of completion of the course. This is vERY NOT true, as if they had to print the TRUTH the true figures would be in the region of 40%.

It all boils down to who you know not where you went. If you have friends/contacts in the right places then the license becomes academic; keep costs to a minimum and chase these guys for recommends etc, this will go (and do) much further in your favour.

In short, do not trust OATS to do anything on your behalf, at the end of the day they will only do wnat they want, and if you aint part of the equation..............forget it!

Yes, I went to OATS and, No, I would not recommend them. Go to a school that is less RAF orientated and more airline orientated. After all, if you want an airline job then go somewhere that has airline experience...

rolling circle
28th Jan 2001, 15:04
BEagle - Part of the reason OATS are offering this is that they are moving fully half of the flying to the USA, no more rud and mubble until you start with the IFR training when it doesn't matter so much.

However, they cut their headline price by 5,300 UKP and, at the same time, increase the amount the individual has to find by 1,700 UKP in fees and 6-8,000 UKP in accommodation charges (if Murray_NN's info is to be believed), whilst a greater proportion of the course benefits from lower overheads in the US. That would mean that, overall, the cost of doing the course at OATS has effectively risen by 2-4,400 UKP!

If the figures are accurate, it would seem that OATS's slide to the level of the worst in UK training schools is unstoppable.

Wee Weasley Welshman
28th Jan 2001, 16:06
MurrayNN - on the last course of self sponsored students to graduate three of the best got recommended to airlines. Subsequently they got several interviews and 2 are now contracted to fly 146īs out of Paris.

In general all large schools can/will/do push the highest achieving self sponsored students. OATS have no unique talent in this field. I have said to people for years and years not to believe any marketing spin regards this topic.

I was dissapointed some years ago at the Flyer jobs fair how OATS (in an otherwise useful and professional presentation) dropped in the old "well we train all the BA cadets and have fantastic contacts inside all the airlines so...".

I have no desire to knock OATS but any marketing spin of this nature is really not on. It is deceiving when applied to the naive Wannabe with little knowledge of the industry.

Good luck with your training,

ps out of interest - are they sending Kidlington people out to the States or are they recruiting locallu out there?