PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

Wedge
6th Nov 2002, 18:19
Starts 0000 GMT tonight! Can't wait to see us give the Aussies a whipping!!! :D :D :D

And before you whinging Aussies start laughing, I think we are going to win the series 6-0...........not.

Seriously, we are not going to regain the Ashes but if we get a good start we could do a lot better than the Aussie media are predicting. Aussie are easily the best Test side in the world but England are a much greater force than even two years ago, so watch out for the underdogs!

TheKentishFledgling
6th Nov 2002, 18:31
Just as long as Kentish lad Rob Key gets some runs like he should, I'll be happy :)

tKF (also looking forward to the Ashes!)

Notso Fantastic
6th Nov 2002, 18:33
Does anybody apart from the same few anoraks really watch cricket anymore? Apart from boredom, it induces in me the sort of disgust at the disgraceful performance of our national side that I experienced when watching Beckham do his 'from the ground kick' against an Argie player and still come out of it a hero ! Sport bores me, I do not understand people who want to watch others doing a mindless task rather than get out there and get a bit of fresh air themselves! And more boring than sport is all the rubbish printed about it. How amazing all the papers think we all want a sports insert in all of them these days! I just don't buy papers anymore. And even worse than all that is all these football 'personalities' who can't talk in words of more than 4 letters and regional cliches apart from a really long 6 letter-word ("we want a 'result!'"). Then there's the BBC News........(sound of axe falling)

Bev Bevan
6th Nov 2002, 18:49
Notso... clearly not a sports fan then. Still.. each to their own.

As for the Ashes.. the likelihood is that we will get a dicking.. but you never know, we might just shock everyone.
I remember the English side being completely written off in 1986/7.. one journalist said " England have just three problems.. they cant bat, cant bowl, cant field" What followed was England taking a clean sweep.. the Ashes, the one-day triangular sireoes and the Perth Challenge, an extra tournament also involving Australia, West Indies and Pakistan.

However.. this Australia side are just a little better than the 1986/7 side!!

A lot will depend on how our bowlers perform. I think the batting strength is roughly comparable, perhaps Adam Gilchrist will be the difference between the sides in that respect.. but if we are to compete in this series our bowlers will have to be on top form.

Oh.. and we need to win the toss a little more often too...

My prediction (tho it hurts to say it..) is a 4-0 series win for the Aussies.

Man-on-the-fence
6th Nov 2002, 19:01
Well speaking as proud Englishman it is my considered opinon that we will be well and truly stuffed.

However, as Cricket is one of the few sports nowadays that is played in the true spirit of fair competiton may I say let the best team win.

Oh and aim at their heads boys, we may not bring the urn back but it would be nice if could take a scalp or two:D

Is it me or have the Ashes not been the same since Johnners passed away and Merv Hughes retired??;)

TheKentishFledgling
6th Nov 2002, 19:44
Yup, I DO enjoy watching cricket on TV, and playing it.

I don't like watching football unless it's in a pub, but then I'm not there for the sport :D But serisouly, I don't like football full stop!

The only other sport I seriosuly enjoy watching is rugby (union preferabley!). Love playing it too.

I wish aerobatics was on TV though!

tKF

Wedge
6th Nov 2002, 19:59
NotsoFantastic, if you don't like cricket then don't click and reply on the thread!! Start another thread about why you think cricket and sport is so boring to you, this is the Ashes and if you don't want to get involved then clear off!! If you want to see true passion then wait until the Aussies have had their breakfast and see this thread!

A match was played in Aussie next to a huge bush fire last week. Local residents were being evacuated and the were 20 foot flames creeping towards the outfield (amazing photos). One of the captains was asked why the match was not abandoned "Well we were winning...." he replied :D

separator
6th Nov 2002, 21:40
The word here is that, in the interests of a sporting contest, the English gentlemen were going to be able to field a side for the 1st Test with the assistance of the resources of the Upper Oodnagalabie Primary School Under 12 reserves.

However this scheme had to be abandoned as the English player chosen refused to play without his mates from home.

sep

Firestorm
6th Nov 2002, 21:47
MOTF: Jonners, Merv Hughes, Ian Botham, jumpers for wickets... Halcyon days, and G&T just a cuople of bob, not a couple of quid.

Personally I reckon that if England can come away with a pair of draws in this series would be a good result. Not very patriotic, but probabaly close to the truth. Goughy must be sick as policeman having been ruled out due to injury. Get well soon Goughy! :D

piniped
6th Nov 2002, 22:26
The only thing stopping a whitewash will be the weather.

I predict 4-0...If Mark Taylor was still in charge it would have been 3-1 as he always let the losing side win the last test, but Steve Waugh is made of much sterner stuff.

BTW...Poms taking Aussie scalps? Just who is going to do that for you? We dropped our quickest (but erratic) bowler...I remember your quicky bowled a 20 odd ball over in Perth?

I mean Geeeezzz you couldn't even run through the Queensland batting lineup? :rolleyes:

redsnail
6th Nov 2002, 22:29
It was learning to fly that got me into cricket. When rain washes out flying then somewhere else in Oz the sun would be shining and there'd be a test on. I like the One Day Matches more. A bit more pacey than the Tests. Although a Test match is good for riding out a hangover.
I like watching Rugby League and Union. A fast game's a good game. Aussie Rules? Fantastic to watch.
Needless to say it helps watching these sports being an Australian. (Especially in England) :D

I subjected my scottish mates to some cricket early this year. They thought I was mad. They still do.
(especially after riding my Ducati from Scotland to England in some fairly fierce winds) :eek: ;)

Select Zone Five
6th Nov 2002, 23:02
Yawn...zzzzzzzz

CoodaShooda
6th Nov 2002, 23:06
And they're off...................

Hussein wins the toss and immedialtely hides from the Ozzie bowlers

Michael Vaughan concedes the first run by letting the second ball (Caddick to Langer) roll between his legs on a flat outfield

Only four runs off the first over.

It can only improve :rolleyes:

Rollingthunder
6th Nov 2002, 23:50
Still don't understand it.

However if you're interested in sport, get yer'self on a Norton and be going over a hump bridge at a ton with an 70 degree right-hander and a brick wall in front of you. TT.

CoodaShooda
7th Nov 2002, 02:05
Poor Simon Jones
First Ashes Test, first Ashes wicket, almost first Ashes catch but stuffs up a sliding stop and looks like being the first to leave the tour. :(

What odds Australia now?

Whiskery
7th Nov 2002, 03:15
What is all this, 6 - 0, 4 - 0 (If Mark Taylor...3 - 1, coz he's a good bloke?).

Gentlemen, there are 5 Test Matches to be played in this Ashes Series and Australia will win all FIVE !

Coodashooda - same odds as before play started. UNBACKABLE favourites.

Keep the faith:]

CoodaShooda
7th Nov 2002, 05:05
Whiskery
Never lost the faith :p :D

Just hoping for a competitive series but I fear I will be disappointed :rolleyes: (there's always Bangladesh next July in Darwin :D :p )

Jones has ruptured a cruciate ligament, so that's probably it for the tour.

luvly jubbly
7th Nov 2002, 05:46
338 for 1!!! Gettin hammered!

Might as well stop now!

364 for 2 at close.

min
7th Nov 2002, 06:18
And here I was hoping to see Craig White bowl to Darren Lehmann, they being brothers-in-law. Unless something pretty drastic happens, Lehmann probably won't even see the pitch this innings.

What on earth is wrong with that English team?????!!!!

M.

OneWorld22
7th Nov 2002, 07:10
God, England really are **** at cricket. Could anyone here explain why they are always so uncompetitive against the aussies? I mean England is the home of cricket, they have huge resources and yet at this rate you can't see them winning an ashes series for a very long time.

England population 48 million
Australia population 18 million

Very, very poor.

Anthony Carn
7th Nov 2002, 07:32
....what on earth is wrong with that English team ???
......they're English, that's what. The English mentality is all screwed up, all the way up from the lazy, ignorant, criminal yob on the dole to the ditto in "government".

For me, the most magnificent cricket I've ever seen died when Sir Garfield Sobers retired. I lost interest in cricket after that era. It IS boring now -- sorry.

I'll pause to watch Shane Warne in action and a few of the Far Eastern batsmen are good to watch, but that's about it.

IMHO

Firestorm
7th Nov 2002, 08:23
Not quite the start I had hoped for.... Going to have to work hard for those draws!! :rolleyes: Mind you, playing to the crowd and coming to the front always makes for an exciting game. Not what England are good at. Truth be known, collapses are more of a speciality.... :o

LGW Vulture
7th Nov 2002, 09:25
God, here we go again and its only the first test...Glad I don't live or work in Earls Court!!

One World...the reason I believe we are crap, is the schooling element. When at school these days, children are taught to compete and not to solely win....Please tell me, if you can't win..why play....Do something you can win at!!!

The Aussies play to win and they play hard and they deserve their victories.

Did you know that Glen McGrath has taken something like 300 test wickets and he can remember every single dismissal...

God if he was only English!!!

CR2
7th Nov 2002, 10:22
Everyone pray for rain....

SilentHandover
7th Nov 2002, 10:32
Me thinks that the English team are acting the same way as any other Englishman on holiday acts.
Out on the lash every night, and then sleeps all of the following day, it's just that the team did not lie around the pool recovering they spent it at the GABBA!
When are we going to start taking these tours seriously, when do touring sides to England play so little cricket as we have in preparation for a test series! The aussies seem to play all our county teams during a tour over a decent length games. We have played 3? one dayers and one 3 day game on what seemed to be a buffet of a wicket. Who plans these tours Alan Border???????

Doh off to bed now to recover from a long long night, still at least it is vaguely enjoyable if you forget that it is England that are playing and pretend the Aussies are bashing someone else so I can enjoy the spectacle of good batting:rolleyes:

Bring on the All Blacks on saturday so we can see some Pride put back into English sport.

DuckDogers
7th Nov 2002, 11:57
Matty Hayden 186 Not Out!!! Fantastic, reminds me of the last time i was at the Gabba back in february watching the cricket when Queensland narrowly lost to NSW.

To sum up Englands performance, absolutely shocking i've seen the 10 to 12 year olds i coach take those kind of catches. These are supposed to be TEST level players, come on boys you are making Bangladesh look good!!

SH

Plenty of good bars in Brisbane to get pissed in especially The Victory and the sport bar i can't recall the name of!

:cool: ;)

TheKentishFledgling
7th Nov 2002, 16:53
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, not good about Simon Jones! :(

Mebbe Kent man Saggers will get a go..........?

tKF

piniped
7th Nov 2002, 17:00
Whiskery...the 4-0 i espoused was forecast on drawing one test due to rain;)

LGW Vulture...make that 400+ wickets for McGrath!!

So, will Matty Hayden beat Lara's 375?

Man-on-the-fence
7th Nov 2002, 17:00
How can two sides have completely different scores, and yet they still call it a draw:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

TheKentishFledgling
7th Nov 2002, 17:40
piniped,

So, will Matty Hayden beat Lara's 375?

Not sure about Hayden, but I wouldn't put it past Gilchrist on one of his good days :mad: :rolleyes:

tKF

Anthony Carn
7th Nov 2002, 21:02
Watched the highlights on English TV and must say that Hussain's decision upon winning the toss had me baffled .

If you know that Shane Warne is bowling for the opposition, then on that basis alone you bat first unless there's a very good reason not to ! F*****g obvious to me !

Still, be good to watch Warne on a worn wicket. That assumes that England survive long enough to cause much wear to the wicket, of course !

As for beating Lara's 375, if extra runs had been awarded for style, then they'd have no chance ! :rolleyes:

scran
7th Nov 2002, 21:07
Hey, Bev Bevan...you got your wish.....The English won the toss................................

And that's about the only thing they will win!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Feel sorry for Young Jones.......horrible injury (but he did go about the slide all wrong!!!! - here they teach you how to do it properly..) but he looked like a guy who gives 100% always.

Hope he recovers and returns to play test cricket again......with his attitude he deserves to succeed.

TheKentishFledgling
7th Nov 2002, 21:09
Yup, I agree, Hussain's decision to field was completely baffling. I wonder what his reasons were!!

As for Jones' knee - ouch :(

I've heard it's so bad they can't fly him home for two weeks?
(and I thought my knee was bad....damaged cartilidge and ligaments etc :( )

Play resumes in 1hr 50mins........

tKF

CoodaShooda
7th Nov 2002, 21:42
scran
Echo your thoughts re Jones.
The ball that got Langer was a ripper.
Surprised no-ones whinging about the disallowed catch from Hayden....or is it possible PPRuNer cricket followers better understand the Laws than do the TV commentators. ;)

USE THE RUDDERS
7th Nov 2002, 22:40
Just heard that the Aussies have offered to bat one handed only and bowl with their wrong arm for the start of Day 2 to make it abit more of a contest.

We wish :(

Looks like another long hard winter for English cricket unless we have a mircale.

Always the world cup though.

Notso Fantastic
7th Nov 2002, 22:50
Hey Bevan- I see the English team didn't disappoint me! Dicked. In fact WAT (Well And Truly) DICKED. Did I say anything about 'National disgrace'? Should be banned from International matches until they learn to play'. They really are not an asset to the UK, just like a football team doomed to disappoint every time. So, hands up who are going to watch this embarrassment further! Masochists!

Wedge
7th Nov 2002, 23:07
Notso, you are absolutely typical of the English attitude that is all that is wrong about this country - and it's because there are so many people like you that we always lose!!! First of all you come on here and start whinging that cricket is boring, then when England have a spectacular bad day you suddenly become an armchair expert and slag the team off!!! Thought you weren't interested!! What you meant was you are only interested if we are losing so you can have a good whinge.....God no wonder the Aussies call us 'Whinging Poms' with people like you about!

You would never see the Aussies whinge on like you and that's why they beat us!!!! They see their cricket as an issue of national pride, they all care a great deal about beating us but clearly you would rather we lose to them so you can sit there and criticise, just like the British press do all the time!

I quote "They really are not an asset to the UK" take a look in the mirror mate!

TRAITOR! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Training Risky
7th Nov 2002, 23:17
At a wedding in the outback, the groom is waiting nervously for his bride to be... After an hour the groom's mother bursts into the church and says: "I'm sorry everyone, the wedding is off. The best man s*****d the bride this morning and she says she loves him!"
Ashen faced, the groom walks dejectedly out of the church to drown his sorrows give his pal a kicking, but bumps straight into the chap concerned........

Two minutes later the groom strides confidently into the church and says in a proud voice,

"It's OK everyone, the wedding is going ahead, Bruce has apologised..."

reynoldsno1
7th Nov 2002, 23:36
...there's still four days to go guys, at least in theory, anyway...

USE THE RUDDERS
8th Nov 2002, 00:13
We're on a roll

Latest Aus 404/4

CoodaShooda
8th Nov 2002, 00:42
Now don't you wish they'd played this way yesterday?:rolleyes:

Better drug test 'em :p

Wedge
8th Nov 2002, 00:55
Different team today Aussie 424 for 6, England's morning.

COME ON THE BARMY ARMY! :D

Gnadenburg
8th Nov 2002, 03:13
Poms are in.

Six slips fielders and the wicketkeeper.

This is probably the greatest cordon of sledgers that cricket has ever seen.

Though Mark Waugh will be missed. He was the sledging ventriloquest.

Bev Bevan
8th Nov 2002, 06:32
well this is a bit more like it.. 8 for 128 or so and then one down for 150... our day definitely. And looks like Gillespie is crocked, so thats one-all :)

Now we just need to bat on.. but you know what our collapses can be like:eek:

Still.. grounds for a little optimism, tho lots of work to do.

I too thought we should have batted yesterday after winning the toss... when NH was explaining his desicion I know where he was coming from.. but still felt it was a massive gamble to put the Aussies in.

SilentHandover
8th Nov 2002, 08:22
It's amazing what an early night and a good nights sleep can do for a team, shame the aussies had to prove that they are a quality side before we really got going!!!!!

Hope we take the rest of the series a bit more seriously and make a game of it.

SH

OneWorld22
8th Nov 2002, 12:54
Now, THAT'S more like it England! Fair play to them for coming out all guns blazing.

At least there's a contest now.

Hope they keep it up.

Whiskery
9th Nov 2002, 21:10
A couple of the English batsmen had a real dip in that second innings and Caddick has taken the wickets of Langer and Ponting.

I am not changing my original prediction of a 5 to zip series win to the Aussies but at least the cricket is becoming enjoyable to watch!

Agree with One world , hope they keep it up.

sprocket
10th Nov 2002, 02:49
The Poms are bat(l)ing again. 1 for 1

Maybe the barmy army should go in. At least they show some enthusiasm.

....oops, ...

Now 2 for 3. At this rate it will be over in 15 minutes.

compressor stall
10th Nov 2002, 04:20
5 for 35 :rolleyes:

USE THE RUDDERS
10th Nov 2002, 04:35
WTF is going on!

Have a great day 2 back in the match THEN.......

Typical.......ANOTHER batting collaspe:mad:

45/5 20 overs

sprocket
10th Nov 2002, 05:15
Looks like its all over at 9/79.

I hope they come back stronger for the next match.

captainowie
10th Nov 2002, 05:16
All out for 79!!

3 wickets fell for 18 runs in the first half hour after tea!!

Mabey they'll have better luck in subsequent games

USE THE RUDDERS
10th Nov 2002, 05:25
What a disaster:(

Congrats Aussies

Hope we give you a better test next time

Allways the rugby next week though!

piniped
10th Nov 2002, 07:18
capittulashion....no
cappitulation...no
capi...ohh b*gger it....giving up without a fight?:cool:

Pity about Goughy...really, he would have given the bowling some sting that they obviously lack.

Man-on-the-fence
10th Nov 2002, 07:36
Bring em home:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gunship
10th Nov 2002, 08:47
Sri Lanka first innings : 192
South Africa : 386 in reply
Sril Lanka on the morning of day 3 : 21/3

Note Ntini : 5 overs, 3 maidens, 3 for 2 wickets ... :p

<<<<<<<<<<<and a few minutes later >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

25 /4 .. Sri Lanka chase 169 runs

Pollock second wicket :

6.1 overs, 2 maidens, 13 runs for 2 wickets : 2.11 (economy rate)

separator
10th Nov 2002, 09:51
Maybe we should have given the Poms a third innings.

At least give our bowlers a chance to warm up.

Hayden's Man Of the Match was well deserved.

Highlight of the match for me was the one-handed catch in the stand. The gentleman concerned didn't spill a drop. That sort of dedication should not go unrewarded.

sep

Gunship
10th Nov 2002, 10:06
How excellent the Ausies are ... Hayden, Mc Grath ... my perosnal highlight which also summarizes the convidence of the Ausies was Gilchrist smashing "pick of the Pom bowlers" - Giles for a six over his head after facing only his second ball ... that summarized the quality of these guys.

As a proud South African I must admit it is going to be very, very hard by any team to make an impression on Australia at next year's world cup.

sprocket
10th Nov 2002, 10:36
Highlight of the match for me was the one-handed catch in the stand. The gentleman concerned didn't spill a drop. That sort of dedication should not go unrewarded.

One of the comentators remarked; "He would be an asset to either side and that he looked extremely relaxed." (or words to that effect) :D

DuckDogers
10th Nov 2002, 11:15
Made a note in the diary this morning, simply said bu**er!

Well played Matty Hayden, the hero of Queensland. One down only four more humiliations to go. Least theres the rugby i suppose to keep us in touch?

Gunship
10th Nov 2002, 11:29
Sri Lanka 122 / 7 ... hangover starting to feel better ! ;) Oeps before I sign off 122 / 8 - first ball from Andrew Hall !!!

Latest >>>> SA win by an innings and 64 runs. <<<<< Latest

Sri Lanka 130 All out .. Andrew Hall 3 wickets in 2 overs.
2 Overs, 1 maiden, 3 wickets for one run ... wow and remember he has not played for the SA team this year.

Man of the match : Jaques Kallis !!!

Keep in mind our "dear" racisit :mad: Sports minister's comments last week : " Balfour said, among other things, that he preferred watching black cricketers play, and white players meant "nothing" to him. Kallis and Pollock means nothing to me ... I am here to watch Ntini, Prince and other players of colour ... shame f****n shame ... :mad: