PDA

View Full Version : Career Guidence

G - HIGH
18th Mar 2001, 22:44
Hi,
Can anyone give me some advice. I've just turned 24 and recently left university with a physics degree and a MSc in computer science. (wow, 5 years as a student!). Anyway, i'm about to finish my PPL and would love to think that I could possibly take on a careet flying full time.

What's the best avenue to approach this? I'm currenly looking for work (so that I can fund more flying hours and possibly more ratings.) I know that there is sponsorship out there, but obviously not enough for all of us.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me?
Any scraps of info will be appreciated!

------------------

Harry Wragg
19th Mar 2001, 01:49
Don't do it! Use your existing qualifications to earn megabucks.

Have Degree in Computing, left to pursue flying career, now fly shiny jet, wish I had a time machine!

On a practical note, flying magazines are a good place to start. Try PILOT's Guide to learning to Fly. http://www.pilotweb.co.uk/

email [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Harry Wragg (edited 22 March 2001).]

Autofly
19th Mar 2001, 01:56
G - High,

I'm 24 and in exactly the same position with the exception I haven't had the joys of 5 years at Uni (wish i had have done though).

Feel free to mail me and i'll tell you my escapades over the last year or so.

AF

G - HIGH
20th Mar 2001, 23:19
Cheers for the advice! Would be good to use these qualifications to impress some horrible git at a pilot interview though! I cant see me applying for sponsorship this year, because I need to gaurantee myself a job soon just to be able to pay off some debts!

O.K, so i've nearly finished my PPL. Where do reckon I should go next?? I was thinking either IMC, or straight into a distance learning ATPL course. Advice on this would be appreciated!!!

Cheers!!

Autofly
20th Mar 2001, 23:29
G - HIGH,

Why arn't you applying for sponsorships??? As far as job hunting goes look for a job to pay off you debts and also apply for sponsorship. Treat each one seperately. If you get on a sponsorship scheme then you know you'll jack the job you've got but you've got to be in it to win it!

I suggest you try the sponsorships before going it alone ..... this is what i'm doing. If you can get an airline to pay for half of it you'll be laughing.

Like I say, drop me an e-mail if you like.

Autofly

Chuck Martin
21st Mar 2001, 07:03
How would I go about getting sponsored and what does it take?

Thanks for your help!
Chuck