PDA

View Full Version : Airline Check&Training

Fluke
6th Nov 2002, 16:27
Do pilots who receive check/training approval say for instance Qantas always possess previous instructional experience?
Will this qualification enable an individual to work as a flying instructor in GA on retirement if he/she desires?

Hugh Jarse
6th Nov 2002, 19:25
They don't necessarily have to possess such qualifications, however, I believe that is all about to change.

I know that pilots entering the ranks of trainers now have to complete a course of study which includes a project involving the training syllabus. I think that previous qualification as a Flying Instructor holds credit.

Someone who has gone through this may be able to help you more specifically.

Can't help you with the second question, but think about this: As a Training Captain you are facilitating an individuals learning into a new system and/or new type. As a Flying Instructor you are teaching an individual how to fly.

There's a subtle difference, therefore I suggest it would not be "backwardly transferable".

Keg
6th Nov 2002, 19:49
I think also that CASA was moving toward AQF type awards and mandating that check and trainers (and GA instructors too I think) hold Level IV Certificates and Training and Workplace Assessment. Certainly, I think QF is moving in that regard anyway to ensure that our trainers and checkers have the 'formal' quals.

Feather #3
6th Nov 2002, 20:42
Fluke,

The above answers cover the first part of the question more than adequately.

As to the second part; no. In fact, our previous CP and former Director of Training who held top level Check Captain qualifications for at least 20 years [he did my night flying at Avalon during his qualification phase] has just completed an initial Instructor Rating. He wouldn't mind me saying that there are a lot of grass-roots basics that you never touch as an airline trainer for the very reasons HJ states; you are simply introducing a trained pilot to a different aircraft type, not teaching basics [although the odd reminder of same may be required!!]

G'day ;)

PS just a further thought that the Level IV qual DOES permit you to go into adult education in retirement as an instructor/teacher since the principles are universal. :D

Hugh Jarse
6th Nov 2002, 22:42
Thanx Keg. I was talking to one of our training blokes the other day and he was just finishing an assignment as part of the syllabus.

I believe all our guys are being put through at various stages. An external (CASA) requirement methinks....

Dehavillanddriver
7th Nov 2002, 11:35
As yet the Certificate IV is not a requirement under the regulations.

CASA is certainly entertaining the thought though.

Whilst many Check and Trainers have previously held an instructor rating, quite a considerable number don't - myself included.

Whilst Cert IV is a formal qualification, I personally have my doubts about the real world usefulness of that particular qualification.

I guess that I will need to jump through that hoop at some point in the future though.

Keg
7th Nov 2002, 13:20
DHD, I've done it (outside of QF) and am waiting for the paper chase to get the peice of paper into my hands but I reckon it was worth it. After about a dozen years doing ground instructing including lots of competency based 'workplace' assessments, I still learnt a thing or three from it. Admittedly, I did RPL certain components of it but there are times when it was just simpler to do the component than chase down the evidence required for the RPL.

No worries Jarse, you should consider getting back into a blue suit part time. You wouldn't believe some of the AQF stuff they have mapped out these days. CUOs can get a Level IV due to their training (we have to add about two periods to the CUOs course I think!). It's great stuff. Got a good gig for you lined up if you're interested too! ;)

Centaurus
9th Nov 2002, 23:59
I get a bit lost with all these pilot titles. What exactly does a Check and Training captain do? And what is a Check captain as against a Training captain? And what is a Line Training captain? And a Route Training captain? And a Cruise captain? is there such a rank as Cruise First Officer? if not- why not? And can a First Officer be a Simulator Instructor or does a Simulator Instructor have to be a Check and Training captain if he does Endorsement Training in a simulator?

And if there is a First Officer - is that a a co-pilot by a posher name? Are there Third or Fourth Officers? And will the new Airbus Mega Jumbo A380 be crewed by only two pilots despite its size? If so, would they both have to be captains? And when is a captain called a Commander? Can you be a Commander of a Cessna 150 once you have done your first solo?

And is a QFI in military parlance just another name for check and training captain? And how many bars does a QFI wear? What is a first and second pilot?

How come you can be a Pilot Officer in the RAAF but not be a qualified pilot?