PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones

Bluejet
6th Nov 2002, 11:28
Not anything to do with computers but no other forum for this really. I have an old mobile phone from one network, anyone know how I can get it to work on another network. If I put in the new network sim card the phone asks for a 'special number'. The company which originally gave me the phone tells me they can let me have this number of £36. Any other way of getting round this? Seems a shame to waste a good backup phone.

cheers

What_does_this_button_do?
6th Nov 2002, 11:30
questions:

What make and model of phone?
Which network are you going to and what one have you come from?

Bluejet
6th Nov 2002, 12:47
Oh thanks for the prompt reply mate.

It's a Motorola Timeport 250. Going from T-Mobile to Orange.

Cheers.

BJ

What_does_this_button_do?
6th Nov 2002, 13:53
If you call Orange they should be able to supply the number.

Background Noise
6th Nov 2002, 21:48
I just got a virgin mobile phone unlocked. Just phoned them and they sent the unlock code (the one your new sim card asks for) in the post. You'll need the IMEI number, which should be inside the phone somewhere. You sometimes have to have had the phone for a certain time or spent more than a minimum amount on calls before they'll do it. Failing that, you can often get most popular phones unlocked by the market stalls who sell phone stuff for less than a tenner.

Once unlocked, you can still use your old sim and you can get a twin sim back for that phone - allows you to use both old and new sim and select either network eg depending on coverage or tariff etc. PM or email me if you want a link to twin sim seller or google for it.