PDA

View Full Version : Missing device file problem.

BRL
6th Nov 2002, 10:42
Hi all. Whenever i start up my pc, just after the win98 splash screen, i get a black screen with the following error report on it and have to hit any key for it to continue.
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registary or SYSTEM.INI file referes to the device file but the device no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstal or set up program.

If you still want to use the application assosciated with this device file, try re-installing that application to replace the missing file.
vspd.386
Press any key to continue

So there you go, what next???????????? :confused:

(Win98)
(This has nothing to do with my other problem in this forum. This has been happening for a while but only just got a bit of time to copy the text to here)

What_does_this_button_do?
6th Nov 2002, 11:09
Are you sure this isn't vpd.386 - was/is the the "s" a typo?

BRL
6th Nov 2002, 11:38
Nope. Thats exactly as it comes up.... vsbpd.386
All lower case. Would i be right in thinking along the lines of a monitor/display problem?

6th Nov 2002, 13:33
BRL: as I thought - a typo!!!!!!

If your system is working normally then edit your SYSTEM.INI file and put a semi colon (;) in front of vsbpd.386, if not then use your favourite search engine to locate vsbpd.386 and copy it to your c:\windows\system32 directory.

B

BRL
6th Nov 2002, 21:51
Ok then, I have been brave and searched for SYSTEM.INI and found a file called 'system'. I opened it(notepad) and looked at the list. This is what i found thats anywhere near it......[386Enh]
ebios=*ebios
woafont=app850.fon
mouse=*vmouse,msmouse.vxd
device=*dynapage
device=*vcd
device=*vpd
device=*int13
device=*enable
keyboard=*vkd
display=*vdd,*vflatd
device=vsbpd.386
device=*vdmad
Now, lots of head scratching going on here......:confused:

Select Zone Five
6th Nov 2002, 22:39
Try a different shampoo...

:p Sorry! :D

ORAC
7th Nov 2002, 00:38
As stated, it's a SoundBlaster driver.

If you have a SB card, or it's on built into your motherboard, reinstall it.

If not, run RegClean (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4143,00.asp) which will clear the links out of your registry.

7th Nov 2002, 09:44
If your system is working properly then replace your snippet about with this - otherwise see Orac's post above mine:

[386Enh]
ebios=*ebios
woafont=app850.fon
mouse=*vmouse,msmouse.vxd
device=*dynapage
device=*vcd
device=*vpd
device=*int13
device=*enable
keyboard=*vkd
display=*vdd,*vflatd
;device=vsbpd.386
device=*vdmad

B

BRL
7th Nov 2002, 21:44
Sorted mate. :) Cut'n paste and that did the trick. Thanks to all who offered advice here, much appreciated. :)

Background Noise
10th Nov 2002, 16:12
BRL,

The reason you could only find a file called 'system' is because you are hiding the file extensions - so you won't see the difference between system.ini and system dot anything else.

If you want to see the extension, get into a my computer or explorer window, select Tools, Folder Options, then the View tab and uncheck the 'Hide extensions for known file types' box.

BRL
10th Nov 2002, 16:29
Excellent, thank you Sir.... :)