PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Munn

Mr_Grubby
5th Nov 2002, 17:02
For many years Mickey Munn flew G-ORED to dispatch the Red Devils. I met him once at Aldershot and spoke to him hundereds of times on the R/T when he wanted to climb above 3,500 feet over Aldershot. A most charming man.
But what was his rank ?. Was he a Captain or a Major ?

Thanks

Mr G.
:)

PPRuNe Pop
5th Nov 2002, 20:06
He was a Captain. He left the army when a new Colonel took over the Paras at Aldershot and thought that MM should not be flying the Freds. As he had got his CPL he then pursued a new career in flying.

Thereby hangs another tale!

folkyphil
5th Nov 2002, 20:36
....was just about to say that Mickey was a Captain, but see that PPRuNE POP beat me to it whilst I was looking at the Reds' new website.....www.reddevilsonline.com.
Have a look at this site...it's pretty good!

Mr_Grubby
6th Nov 2002, 10:22
Pop & folkyphil

Thanks for your replies.

I hesitate to ask this, but is MM still alive?

Mr. G.

Conc
6th Nov 2002, 14:58
I am afraid I must tell you that Mickey died about year to 18 months ago. I can't remember the details, a heart attack I think. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Mr_Grubby
6th Nov 2002, 15:14
Conc

Thank you.

Mr G.

Daifly
7th Nov 2002, 18:39
Was the big-C I'm afraid. Quick in the end though.

He'd been flying right up until the end, I think with London Exec on the King Air (it was that quick that it was discovered at the very last moment).

maninblack
9th Nov 2002, 17:23
I found out about MM about six weeks ago, he was, in my limited experience, a decent man with the best interests of others as his motivation.