PDA

View Full Version : is speling importunt enymore?

Don D Cake
5th Nov 2002, 15:59
It may not be when you're bashing off a post to PPRuNe, texting your mate or e-mailing your missus. But what about in the business world? I asked my car insurance company if I needed a "green card" to drive in Europe, they replied....

"Dear Mr Cake

No you dont you are fine XXX covers you for this, however you will need to take your certificut with you. hope this has answerd your questions.

Many Thanks

X XXXXX
Customer Services"

flowman
5th Nov 2002, 16:07
In ansur to yor kweschun, know it snot. Apparently!

flowman

ceebs
5th Nov 2002, 16:24
This goes hand in hand with the common mistakes people make with words. Its incredible the amount of people these days that confuse words like "loose" with "lose", "off" with "of" or even the old favourite of to, too and two!

FlyingForFun
5th Nov 2002, 16:28
Can't understand how anyone can get away with that, given that we all have spell-checkers on our desktop now.

Still, the answer is no, it's not important. Early linguists didn't have definitive ways of spelling many words, each writer spelt them however he thought they should be spelt. As long as it gets the point across, it really doesn't matter. IMHO.

FFF
--------------

takenthe5thamendment
5th Nov 2002, 16:38
I have to disagree, bad grammar and poor spelling really irritate me.

FFF spell checkers are really not all they're cracked up to be, they are unable to put the word into the correct context.

If spelling doesnt matter why is it so important as part of the school curriculum?

A320_Murray
5th Nov 2002, 16:39
Hello,
Your previous example is a bit...'iffy'...I think that when you are texting someone it's a lot quicker to use the lingo with that (u,2,l8tr,lol,whteva,etc) but if I am using the computer I do the "old" proof-check" or the spellchecker!! There is no excuse for it on the computer or by letter (mail) It seems just too many people are in a rush these days...

djk
5th Nov 2002, 18:41
I have to agree with you 5th ,
It does upset me at times, especially when just the other week, my sister informed me that my nephew's teachers do not even bother to correct him if he says "buyed" instead of "bought".

It seems to me that these days children prefer sitting in front of a PC or PlayStation and playing games, rather than reading a book or expanding their knowledge of vocabulary.

reynoldsno1
5th Nov 2002, 19:20
Its incredible the amount of people

It's incredible the amount of people who don't seem to know the difference between an abbreviated verb form and a possessive pronoun...

flowman
5th Nov 2002, 20:20
A320_Murray

Your proof-check/spell checker thingy didn't notice that there is no such word as "alot" or correct "its" to "it's".
The most difficult thing about learning the English language (I am told my learned and multilingual colleagues) is the spelling. Sometimes it's the only way to identify whether a truly fluent speaker is mother tongue English or not (and whether they refer to "salmons"!). So why not at least try to get it right, and not depend on some shoddy computer programme to hide our own deficiencies in the linguistic department.
Thankfully we don't have to grapple with complex grammar like the Germans and the French. If they accepted the same poor standards of grammar as we seem to accept for spelling they would not be able to make themselves understood.

Here's a question for the multilinguists:
Which is the most difficult language to learn?

I'll start the voting with Finnish.

flowman

Sensible
5th Nov 2002, 20:20
A wot? I didn't go to a public school! Anyways, the spell checker isn't the be all and end all, it doesn't seem to object however I spell wether, weather or whether but it does make a difference to the meaning apparently!

Grainger
5th Nov 2002, 22:43
1. It is lazy - one of the most appalling and despised of human traits.

2. If you don't think that what you are saying is worth the effort, don't expect me to take anything you say seriously either.

Flash2001
5th Nov 2002, 23:09
Nitrate and nitrite will both pass the spell checker. They behave rather differently in reactions. In quantity the difference could be expensive. Just another reason to spell correctly.

Tinker
5th Nov 2002, 23:34
Thanks a lot Don D Cake.
You've got the G.A.S.P.(grammar and spelling police) back up on their soap boxes.
My grammar and spelling isn't particularly great but on the odd occasion when I need to create a literary masterpiece :eek: I keep a thesauras and dictionary handy. In addition I am never too proud to ask for help from friends who are far more able than myself.
These occasions certainly do not extend to writing a reply or post to PPRUNE, Text message or informal e-mail.
If anyone can't find a little extra time to reread a post/text or e-mail and try to understand it. In my humble opinion (IMHO), it's their loss.

WE Branch Fanatic
5th Nov 2002, 23:35
Bad spelling and grammar annoy me too.

I once applied for a job through an employment agency, and informed them of the errors of their ways. I didn't get the job.....

Abuse of apostrophes is another pet hate of mine.

Balding Eagle
6th Nov 2002, 03:15
Yes this upsets me as well. I believe that if someone can't take the time to check their grammar and spelling then they are lazy and impolite. Having said that, in a casual situation such as texting and writing on pprune I don't see it as such an issue.

Of course now I am getting woried that what I have just written doesn't make grammatical sense or there is a spelling mistake lurking that I didn't spot. Damnit.

jonathang
6th Nov 2002, 14:05
I think it's important, well certainly with Business letters.

Just wish I could spell :)

rustle
6th Nov 2002, 14:34
Just FTR,

ceebs, "Its incredible the amount of people..."

Should be: "It's incredible the number of people..."

takenthe5thamendment, "...spelling doesnt matter..."

Should be: "...spelling doesn't matter..."

WE Branch Fanatic, "Bad spelling and grammar annoys me too"

Should be: "Bad spelling and grammar annoy me too"

Balding Eagle, "...getting woried that..."

Should be: "...getting worried that..."

HTH

Four Seven Eleven
6th Nov 2002, 14:39
Wustle

And of course "Should" should not be capitalised, as it is not a new sentence and each sentence should end with a full stop.

And furthermore, no sentence shoulde begin with a preposition.

:D ;)

lunkenheimer
6th Nov 2002, 14:42
In a casual setting (such as PPrune) occasional spelling or grammar slips are no big deal but when a post is saturated with them the effect is similar to using all capitals-it makes things harder to read.

In formal communications, there's no excuse for sloppy spelling or grammar.

Ufiti_GB
6th Nov 2002, 15:29
one D4y i W1LL 83 kWI+E Pr0ph1C13n+ 1F I COuLD 0nLy 5+UDy h4rd3R !:D

Nopax,thanx
6th Nov 2002, 15:55
Yes, thanks to Mr.Gates people don't bother to read through documents any more - even the Torygraph is full of howlers these days - and was it my imagination, or did that notorious poster about the motor show contain the phrase "the way to a man's heart, (etc, etc) down the M6 and OF at junction 4"

Anyhoo, my favourite one has to be the sign I saw outside a restaurant in Hunstanton last year - "Three coarse lunch"

Tinker
6th Nov 2002, 19:16
That's my point Balding Eagle, people shouldn't be affraid to post on PPRUNE just because their spelling and grammar isn't quite up to scratch. It would be a shame to miss out on comments or information that could well be enlightening or interesting just because someone is too intimidated to post.
Having said that I do agree that formal letters should be written to the best of the writers ability using all aids possible, unfortunately spell checkers, dictionarys and thesaurases only go so far. It's then up to the individual to educate themselves if writting letters/articles etc plays an important part in their life.

lanciaspezzata
6th Nov 2002, 19:30
How many potential Scrabble world champions do we have posting on PPRuNe then?

Tonic Please
6th Nov 2002, 22:13
I'm very sorry. I have read your post many times, and am unable to understand what it says. Do please put me out of my misery :D

Smooth skies,
Dan

p.s - Spelling erros: 0 (oops :D )
Gramma errors: 0 ?

PilotsPal
7th Nov 2002, 00:51
Wish someone would tell bloodey Slasher to spell pussey properley.

Rollingthunder
7th Nov 2002, 01:28
I understand Slasher has copyrighted these modifications to words and is therefore fulley and totalley entitled to call a puss a pusse. Afteralle what did the Posh bird doe?

You want it when?
7th Nov 2002, 08:55
Sorry can't resist, I'm not a poor speller but my fingers are...

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marks four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strikes a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me a strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My checker tolled me sew.

Tonic Please
7th Nov 2002, 10:11
Brilliant :D and perfectly to the point!

Smooth skies :cool:

IFTB
7th Nov 2002, 10:18
It's all well to complain about spelling in OFFICIAL communications (including the ads etc.) but if you would not "allow" bad spelling or language construction on forums like the PPRuNe you would have to exclude most of the non-UK educated people and lose the international flavour of this forum.
A large amount of writers are foreigners (including me/myself/I??)

Pretty damn good that we communicate in a foreign language anyway, and in writing!!

So leave it alone for the posters on this forum, please!!

Yes, spelling is very important, it shows a bit of professionalism. You take your business serious if you spell correctly.
You take your time to ensure it looks good.

But it has to be an appropriate effort :cool:

BTW, how does one use the spellchecker when you write a post like this? Mine does not show up until I write a doc!!!???:confused:

Grim Reaper 14
7th Nov 2002, 12:11
Correct spelling can be a ****** too. I recall the example of a recently bereaved widow who was written to by the DSS, asking for details of her husbands executors.

She responded indignantly that her husband hadn't been executed, and had died of natural causes....:( Strewth!

Nickodiemus
7th Nov 2002, 12:31
To paraphrase Henry Ford....

Spelling is bnuk