PDA

View Full Version : IMC rating?

Tarmach
18th Mar 2001, 22:36
How many hours do you need before starting the IMC rating?

foghorn
19th Mar 2001, 00:01
no hours to start training
10 hours post PPL P1 for issue

Noggin
19th Mar 2001, 01:40
Whilst the above comment is correct, I would not advise starting until you have done at least 10 hours post PPL, ideally flying cross country routes. You also need to get the IMC exam under your belt before starting the flying. I have seen numerous people waste money by trying to do an IMC course when they do not have the requisite knowledge.

foghorn
19th Mar 2001, 18:26
Sound advice.

Enjoy your new PPL for a bit first!!!!

smallfish
19th Mar 2001, 18:55
An IMC is a good thing to do after a couple of years to sharpen up your flying skills post PPL. Try to do the course with a friend, you can watch them make all the mistakes from the back seat then impress the instructor when you have a go!

ChampagneSupernova
20th Mar 2001, 00:27
Good advice Smallfish, I did exactly that and passed in the 15hrs min.

------------------
Do you Believe??

aztec25
22nd Mar 2001, 01:42
My own experience... waited a year after PPL and then did the IMC intensively in Guernsey in 15 hours, busy Class A and all that. I doubt many will complete in the 15 hours unless you do the course over a short period of time. I know people who have done it at weekends and they often take twice the minimum hours. I remember thinking 5/6 hours into the course that it was the hardest thing I'd ever undertaken and then it began to fall into place until by the end of the course I couldn't wait to do that test as my flying and confidence had impoved so much over those 15 hours. It's not a instrument rating (hopefully I'll be doing mine next year) but it must give one a good grounding in preparation. My advice would be don't attempt it too early after PPL as it may do nothing for your confidence. Isn't this flying business about taking small steps, improving, consolidating and then moving on.
Aztec

PS I agree with Noggin and would recommend the IMC confuser once you have read and understand Trevor Thom's Radio Nav & Instrument Flying volume until you can almost recite it :-)

[This message has been edited by aztec25 (edited 21 March 2001).]

Charley
22nd Mar 2001, 14:09
The exact hour requirements for IMC application/issue, which I have been given and am working to, are:

25 hrs logged since PPL application, which can include the 15 hrs minimum IMC tuition, 10 hrs logged as P1 since PPL application... ...of which 5 hours must be logged during x-country flights (i.e. A to B to A again, or A to A via predefined and log-book-noted turning points)

These criteria seem to fit with what everyone else has said so I'm happy that I've been given good gen.

I would agree with what Noggin said about hitting the books first - sitting in a aircraft spending dollars at two thousand feet is not the place to learn what an NDB is or does. Make sure you work yourself hard during your IMC because if you do it properly it will make your IR a lot easier -- so my instructor says anyway.

Finally, I also agree with trying to do your IMC in a fairly short space of time. This is not easy for me flying out of Leeds, where it is currently snowing heavily.

Crashlanding
22nd Mar 2001, 15:48
I did my IMC within the minimum. I do sujest knowing the subject and like all the others try to do all the flying in a relativly short time to keep the accuracy high.

By the way I got my IMC with 14hrs 45mins, 15 mins short of required. God know how that got by but it did. I didnt quite notice this fact till I had done the exam and realised after I had passed the exam.

Another good practice is to practice in your head what you should be saying, where you should say it and what you should be doing. This is realy good when stuck on the M1 etc while waiting to move agian

------------------
The approach looked good, the landing was F****** awful.