PDA

View Full Version : Narco Avionics - what are they like ?

alan_mcmahon
5th Nov 2002, 09:31
Purchasing an aircraft with all Narco avionics going back to 1965.

Does anyone have any advice or recemendations on Narco equip ?

NARCO CP 136 AUDIO & MARKERS
NARCO MK 12D 200 CH NAV / 720 CH COM / ILS
NARCO MK 12D 200 CH NAV / 720 CH COM / ILS
NARCO AT 150 TRANSPONDER (ENCODER)
NARCO 841 ADF

Mark 1
5th Nov 2002, 12:10
Narco seem to have a reputation for being less robust than their well known US competitor, but the Mk12 is one of the most popular nav/coms in GA land. I've never personally had any problems with their stuff other than the little all-in-one VOR receiver and indicator.

The upgrade to 760 channel costs about £1200 but I think it also gives you FM immunity. The only time Ive needed to tune a >136.00MHz station was for ATIS, so I just used my handheld.

I think 760 may be compulsory in some countries (Germany?)

Speedbird48
5th Nov 2002, 21:51
Product support is very poor. Parts are difficult ,as they want you to send it to them and them alone.
I have a full panel of the 120 series and it all works fine. I needed a new antenna for the ADF, it is a combined loop and sense type. All I needed was the 8inch wire part. Narco could not supply and would only say send it to us and we will see what we can do.
The 'phone operator that deals with parts and service should try another job as she is no good at this one and has an attitude.
Buy an airplane with King or Garmin and save yourself problems later down the road.

777AV8R
8th Nov 2002, 09:52
Yup..agreed...I had King equipment in my Comanche 180..never had a problem.

The equipment might be pricey at the front end, but over time, the savings in trips to the Avionics shop will be worth it!

unwiseowl
8th Nov 2002, 21:00
I associate NARCO with radio failure!

big pistons forever
9th Nov 2002, 01:13
The radio's are named for the most commonly heard phrase in the cockpit of a NARCO equiped aircraft. SH** Not Another Radio/Comm Outage:D

JEP
9th Nov 2002, 13:01
We have had a NARCO 12D in our C150 for 10 years. Works OK except that the display is replaced every 3-4 years because it stops working.
It usually starts with the left digit "1" in the active COM-frequency.
This indicates, that the whole display will become black in a few weeks, and it is time to get your avionic shop to order a new display.

Our 7 year old KX165 is starting to lose it's left "1" now. ..

This never happens to the display in my 150$ car radio ;) .

Steamhead
9th Nov 2002, 18:55
At present Narco have a serious Q.C. problem at there factory,
IF they manage to overcome this then thing may improve but,
$7300 for a Narco 12D ILS/DME seems a bit O.T.T.
They will either sort there problems soon or (well need I say more).

Regards

BEagle
10th Nov 2002, 07:49
Indeed! Why are our expensive avionics so unreliable? Whereas my car radio/cassette/CD system has been 100% reliable for the last 7 years, the displays even on our King KX155s and our King ADFs and DMEs seem to last barely a couple of years. Our Narco SSRs are being replaced with Garmins as they reach by their evident use-by date; however, the one Garmin GNC250 which needed the VHF comm part repaired came back quickly and better-than-new with all the various software upgrades incorporated.