PDA

View Full Version : Hot Air Balloon crash

HotDog
5th Nov 2002, 02:02
Ex CX captain, Richard Parry had a lucky escape from a burning balloon at Saga Japan on Monday after a heavy landing.

BlueEagle
5th Nov 2002, 08:52
Just seen some pictures here on TV and they are saying that Parry and the judge both jumped out! Is that a possibility?
They looked a bit high.

fulmar
5th Nov 2002, 11:04
They call it "Timing the bounce"

I crewed for Rich at Saga a few times. One year he was flying G-DHLB on a hare & hounds task. My problem was I was on the ground and could only see about 200 balloons silouetted against a most beautiful sunset. I made the mistake of calling him and asking “Rich, where the hell are you?” Quick as a flash the answer came back “Japan. Where the hell are you?”
And he had the triumph of being the only balloonist to retrieve his retrieve crew. Excuses like “Don’t know Japanese roads, radio batteries went flat etc etc” counted for little for us as we saw him tooling up the road on the back of a farm truck with burner roaring at full power.
The world needs optimists and adventurers. I for one am glad Rich got out of this one and lives to fly another day!

HotDog
6th Nov 2002, 01:02
Blue Eagle, one camera shot shows the two of them tumbling out of the basket at initial impact. The object falling to ground after the balloon became airborne again, looks like a gas cylinder.

BlueEagle
6th Nov 2002, 12:53
Thanks Hot Dog, down here they only show the most dramatic possibilities and then cut to adverts or footy!

fergineer
8th Nov 2002, 11:30
Hi Fulmar, I crew for him in the Northern Hemisphere and am also glad he got out unscathed, dropped the mark for a good score then got docked 500 for ground contact, somedays as they say.:D :D

mole
8th Nov 2002, 16:45
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-3-469791,00.html

Try the link for a good photograph of the incident.